French Line Infantryman 1815 Airfix Collectors Series 54mm from 1974

Thanks BK.

Not sure if my building method always the best.  I do arms body detail painting then put together rather than build and paint.  I didn't really get the arms positioned as desired on this one.   Would have liked him sighting down the musket more, but you could argue he's bringing the weapon up or down.

Nice build and painting from such an old kit, I remember building these things years ago and none looked anywhere near this good :) 

Only thing that keeps drawing my attention though, is the fact that his eyes look closed, but I know how difficult eyes are to get right, especially in this scale

Ian :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Nice build and painting from such an old kit, I remember building these things years ago and none looked anywhere near this good :) 

Only thing that keeps drawing my attention though, is the fact that his eyes look closed, but I know how difficult eyes are to get right, especially in this scale

Ian :) 

Cheers Ian

Very true...  Looking at some my old dad did back in the day and he got the eyes better than I can, but he was a commercial artist.

Think on reflection he might have used oil paints not Humbrol tins.

• Like 1

Nice figure, yeah to me he has a cool 'just fired' look to him. 

One little tip I found useful when first doing eyes is to do them first and just splodge over the eye with your eye white colour (usually lighter version of your skin tone) and then for the iris/pupil don't worry about putting a neat dot, just paint a line down from the eyelid and stop when in the middle of the eye. 

Then you can just go around the outside of the eye and neaten it up with your base skin colour and you'll have neat eyes with a well positioned pupil/iris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Nice figure, yeah to me he has a cool 'just fired' look to him. 

One little tip I found useful when first doing eyes is to do them first and just splodge over the eye with your eye white colour (usually lighter version of your skin tone) and then for the iris/pupil don't worry about putting a neat dot, just paint a line down from the eyelid and stop when in the middle of the eye. 

Then you can just go around the outside of the eye and neaten it up with your base skin colour and you'll have neat eyes with a well positioned pupil/iris

I'll keep trying..   I use a loupe glass and still can't get it right.   Oh and use good quality brushes.