F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 24apr24 ready for a gloss varnish and then decals!

A bit more done today. In the image below you can see that I have modified the tailplane fixings. As it is, the tailplane mounts on just two approx 0.8mm lugs (one each side). It needs some strengthening, in my view, but the point where the lugs are located, the pivot for the control mechanism, is very thin. However, with F-84F, and most jets, sitting with the tailplane canted to the rear when at rest. This gave me an opportunity to insert 0.5mm brass rod slightly above where SH Have also moulded a small guiding lug that should insert in a secondary hole. This then gives you the canted look plus some strengthening. See the left image below. Of course, if you want the tailplane level you simply drill at the hole already a feature of the kit.    

Greek23

I have also employed Giorgio's @Giorgio N idea for masking, using thin sheet. In addition to cutting masks for the wheel wells I also cut one for the nose intake. This will allow the interior to be aluminium, which I believe is correct, and the extrerior area to be the two darker shades that you can see on photos, without these darker paints encroaching on the inner faces. You can also see - and I only noticed late this morning - that I lost the IP and gunsight somewhere! A few minutes of frantic searching found them in the carpet under my desk!!! :) They are now re-installed with the glazing for the gunsight added. 

Finally, the main tanks (450 gallon finned) and pylons are assembled, as you can see.

I can feel priming come up very soon :). It looks like just a few places where I will use PPP 🤞 

Back to the Mustang!

Martin

• Like 7

Thought I'd do a trawl and see what others are up to. You're moving along nicely with this Martin, glad that you're not finding to much to correct and making the optimum decision, we both know that you don't like working to deadlines :wink:.

Stuart

51 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thought I'd do a trawl and see what others are up to. You're moving along nicely with this Martin, glad that you're not finding to much to correct and making the optimum decision, we both know that you don't like working to deadlines :wink:.

Stuart

So far, so good, Stuart :). I do have two other builds running alongside though.....

• Like 1

A bit more done but nothing different from what others are doing :)

I've got as far as priming the main assembly, after checking joins and gaps and repairing with PPP. To be honest there was almost nothing to do. Even so, after blasting her with Mr Surfacer 1500, there are just some very minor blemishes which I will now attend to, including a bit more attention to the join ahead of the canopy. Aside from this the main tanks have had a very little PPP and I am cleaning up other parts. I see that the SH mask set doesn't allow for the "puttying" around the canopy and quarter lights. :(

Greek24

Painting soon!

I have to say it again .... This kit is a beauty :) (but then I’m biased) ;) Martin

• Like 6

• RidgeRunner changed the title to F-84F '52-6926' 339 Moira, Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force) - Special Hobby 1/72 - update 070324 Primed!

A little done today. Almost nothing in fact but I was concentrating on the Mustang ;).

I had forgotten to add the outer pylons so these needed to be retreived from the box, cleaned and prepared. These come with a small additional part that slips in to the upper face. I dont know why they were produced like this. Maybe moulding? Anyway, all assembled but they needed a smear of PPP to fill the small gap. Additionally the more forward of the locating pins were pathetic in size and shape and so I inserted a 0.8mm dia piece of rod to replace them, one on each side. 

Greek26

I also whizzed round with a cocktail stick armed with PPP but it really didn't need much at all! 

Greek25

Back again tomorrow :)

Martin

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

Looking good!

Will 2024 be know as your "artic red" era? 😉

Maybe :). I also fancy building a German F-84F in CCTW colours from Luke AFB ;)

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:01 AM, cpoud117 said:

Looking good!

Will 2024 be know as your "artic red" era? 😉

I have an “Arctic Red” F-104A in the plan too :) 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Post to myself ...... how is this one coming along, Martin? ;) 

Slowly!!! :(;). The truth is - partly - that this will be my first build in which I will be using acrylic metallics and I keep putting off the day when I need to get the paint and airbrush out! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I will :)

You will be fine!

I have been using them for 3-4 years as they do not smell and give a nice result.

I can provide more details/info if you wish.

• Like 2

I know, I'm just being over cautious! I did at least get the remainder bits cleaned and primed today so paint will definetly be on soon!!!!! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Was wondering where you and Martin @Lightningboy2000 had got to...:poke:.

Stuart

What where who am I? I have made some progress after actually deciding that I've finished that monster tank. Just got to get round to posting pics of it. As for the Streaks, I've finally got some metal paints on a couple of them. Almost ready for decals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SebTartar said:

You will be fine!

I have been using them for 3-4 years as they do not smell and give a nice result.

I can provide more details/info if you wish.

They are very good paints. I normally swear by them but this time I'm going for Alclad & the new Ammo Mig version of Alclad which is stinky but tough in comparison to the Vallejo. Next time I use their Metal Color paints I'll definitely be using a gloss black primer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Slowly!!! :(;). The truth is - partly - that this will be my first build in which I will be using acrylic metallics and I keep putting off the day when I need to get the paint and airbrush out! 

Hi Martin what primers have you got for them? I use either Mig One Shot which is brilliant stuff or I have some of the Vallejo gloss black primer for their Metal Color range. No need to thin them just 10-15 psi and lightly build it up. Once you've used them I know you will want to build loads of natural metal jets! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Martin what primers have you got for them? I use either Mig One Shot which is brilliant stuff or I have some of the Vallejo gloss black primer for their Metal Color range. No need to thin them just 10-15 psi and lightly build it up. Once you've used them I know you will want to build loads of natural metal jets! 

The Thunderstreak is primed with Mr Surfacer 1500. It is grey and not black, though. I am fearful of Gloss primers. In fact I never use gloss paints, preferring to varnish gloss after if needed. What are the advantages?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Thunderstreak is primed with Mr Surfacer 1500. It is grey and not black, though. I am fearful of Gloss primers. In fact I never use gloss paints, preferring to varnish gloss after if needed. What are the advantages?

I used the Alclad gloss primer on my F-3 Lightning & the gloss black definitely helps the overlying metal shine more. Anything matt or less than gloss will deaden the reflection. On this occasion I used the acrylic one shot black which I just polished back with kitchen towel before covering in Alclad aluminium. I will take some pics! All depends what overall finish you want, respective of scale, I guess. Just thinking, some USAF Thunderstreaks at Bentwaters & Shepherds Grove were polished to a very high shine which I hope to achieve on my Sword kit. Hopefully I can eliminate the join line across the top of the nose! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots to think about. I do tend to like aircraft in used/operational finishes. My practicing with the Vallejo metals on grey seem to work.i might try a gloss black sometime, though ;). Thanks mate. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Lots to think about. I do tend to like aircraft in used/operational finishes. My practicing with the Vallejo metals on grey seem to work.i might try a gloss black sometime, though ;). Thanks mate. :)

My Voodoo was the Vallejo Metals on a matt grey acrylic primer. It is good stuff! Just low pressure & light coats.