Seat-Pack Liferaft FAA Usage

wellsprop

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, wellsprop said:

Hi all,

When were seat-pack life rafts (the yellow boxes that sit in the seat pan) first used by the FAA? Would these have been used on the Fairey Gannet? (I've only found photos of them in the AEW Gannet).

Cheers

Ben

It was  a standard feature on all ejection seats from the beginning so they certainly would have been used in the FAA from the introduction of the Attacker. Although not an ejection seat aircraft I would assume it would have been a feature on the Gannet seats from new as well as it was put in service around  the same time period.

Selwyn

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

It was  a standard feature on all ejection seats from the beginning so they certainly would have been used in the FAA from the introduction of the Attacker. Although not an ejection seat aircraft I would assume it would have been a feature on the Gannet seats from new as well as it was put in service around  the same time period.

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn.

The Gannet seats are the deep pan style, as Gannet crews didn't fly with chutes (update: I'm wrong) , presumably there were seat packs in there... 

I don't think the hard yellow PSPs were fitted to AS Gannets.

They were fitted to AEWs because they were fitted with the pilot's underwater escape seat.

Prior to the hard shell PSPs, the Navy used a leather seat pad with a green canvass or bright orange valaise underneath it on their jets.

Edited by 71chally

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The Gannet seats are the deep pan style, as Gannet crews didn't fly with chutes, presumably there were seat packs in there... 

Gannet crews had parachutes, it was their only form of in flight escape, and these would have fitted in the seat pans.

I don't know enough about aircrew clobber to know where the life raft was contained, but guessing in the seat pan aswel.

Edited by 71chally