bf-109

Airborne SF

Looking for experts on the early BF-109E models.  The two cowl MG-17 machine guns were mounted in an ofset position.  The right side gun was mounted slightly behind the left hand gun due to the position of the ammunition boxes and the feeds to the guns.   The is meant that the ends of the barrels were at different distances behind the nose.  They barrels fire through a (let's call it a trough as I don't know the proper term) in the cowling over the engine.  Were the back ends of these troughs also offset, i.e., was one further back than the other?  I have yet to find a picture showing the troughs to advantage as it would have to be taken from above looking down on the nose.  This gun arraingment was redone in the "F" models, I believe, but I could be wrong on that.  Picture attached showing what I'm referring to.  Any answers would be appreciated.

If you are talking about the gun openings in the cowl, they were not offset, neither on the E or any other variant. Here you can see the gun throughs on an 'Emil':

https://assets-global.website-files.com/60d3c6d0e106af90561564f7/60f69f8f3462c82332adae23_RAF-AE479--Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3---Wk--Nr--1304---9-.jpeg

https://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MY/MY86-2/4-2.jpg

Cheers

Markus

the linked photo

bf109-WRG-0032314.jpg

There is particular detail in the above photo that is misleading.   At the front of each gun are the sleeves which are the blast tubes, designed to minimize the amount of muzzle residue coming back into the aircraft when the MG17 are fired.   In the image they look staggered but I think the near one is unstrapped and was slid backwards, otherwise they should line up parallel.