Challenger 1 mk3 on transporter

JDY928

Hello All, 

My first post. I am looking at modelling the Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1 mk3 in desert scheme on a Scammell Commander transporter. I understand that the Tamiya suspension is too low if the tank on the move. Is it at the correct height if the tank is tied down on the transport trailer? 

Regards,

Jed in Australia 

It probably is. The suspension "warms-up" with movement. its called "hydrogas" suspension, because the units contain hydrogen gas.

From experience, each vehicle would be at a different "height" once the suspension had heated up.

So it could be a big stretch to climb aboard or not so much.  Same jumping off again.

If you look at stock pics too you can notice the vehicle "leaning" one way or the other.  That was a good indication that a "unit" was broken or needed recharged again.

Useful I hope?

I spent 22 years on CR1 and CR2 for info.

Cheers 

Nick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Widow 65 said:

its called "hydrogas" suspension, because the units contain hydrogen gas

Really?  A flammable gas in the suspension units?  I could have sworn the name comes from a combination of hydraulic + gas, and the gas is nitrogen because it's inert.

• Thanks 1

The hydro-pneumatic suspension uses high-pressure nitrogen gas and an integral oil damper. Hydrogas was developed by Horstman in the 1980s for a range of vehicles, designed to replace torsion bars and provided an increase in cross-country mobility. It also allowed designers to overcome the internal packaging constraints, vulnerability to mine blast and crew exposure to the fragmentation that all result from torsion bars. Proven in Challenger MBT, CrARRV, AS90, Terrier, AS90, K9/K10

Rich

PS sorry - this crossed with @Widow 65 message clarifying the use of nitrogen, rather than hydrogen, in the units.

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

The hydro-pneumatic suspension uses high-pressure nitrogen gas and an integral oil damper. Hydrogas was developed by Horstman in the 1980s for a range of vehicles, designed to replace torsion bars and provided an increase in cross-country mobility. It also allowed designers to overcome the internal packaging constraints, vulnerability to mine blast and crew exposure to the fragmentation that all result from torsion bars. Proven in Challenger MBT, CrARRV, AS90, Terrier, AS90, K9/K10

Rich

PS sorry - this crossed with @Widow 65 message clarifying the use of nitrogen, rather than hydrogen, in the units.

Hydro gas suspension was developed by Citroen, and improved and licensed for use by the same company. It was developed by Horstman for used in military vehicles. 

O

12 hours ago, Meter rat said:

Hydro gas suspension was developed by Citroen, and improved and licensed for use by the same company. It was developed by Horstman for used in military vehicles. 

Quite possibly, but the point was about Hydrogas® itself rather than who invented it. And as I think we both said developed by Horstman for use in military vehicles... 🤫

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Thanks all that have commented. I am also curious if anyone has experience with the Scorpion Miniature Models replacement up-armour add on, vs the Tamiya version that comes with the kit.

Regards,

Jed 

On 12/15/2023 at 8:47 AM, JDY928 said:

Thanks all that have commented. I am also curious if anyone has experience with the Scorpion Miniature Models replacement up-armour add on, vs the Tamiya version that comes with the kit.

Regards,

Jed 

Having used SSM products although not this one you will probably find it is more detailed etc,worth the price?that is down to you mate👍😄

Sure I saw a post on another forum that mentioned the TAMIYA kit ride height, using a jig to set it a 14mm, hull to deck without the tracks installed.   Also using Mike Shackleton's SSM CRI add-ons myself on a GW1 build, all seems to have cleaned up well, little over casting and only one air bubble I've noted.  Will do some progress pics over the festive season.