Scratch built wire wheels

Mig Eater

I have a project in mind that will require scratch building some wire wheels, I've never done anything like that before so any suggestions on how I might approach it? I have a vague memory of seeing someone used a custom jig that you would then weave wire around to make the wheels..? 

There's several ways, depending on skill for the most part.

Most important,  what scale?

There's machining 

Photoetch

Copper wire wrapping.

A good book if you can find it,  is the set by Gerald Wingrove ' The complete car modeller' 1 + 2

• Like 1

I want to build the Tsar/Lebedenko tank in 1/35, scratch building the tank part wont be a problem but the wheels scare me. They are obviously very different from the wheels you'd find on a car (they are 9m in diameter!) but I thought this would be the best place to ask for advice as car modelers would have the most experience with wire wheels.

tsar-tank.jpg

A scratch built model of this subject won best of show at IPMS Scale Modelworld in 2022.

The model maker's name is Rafal Sikorski

His email is [email protected]

Bozo referred to Gerald Wingrove's books.      The wire wheel making is described in The Complete Car Modeller 1.    Book 2 is just devoted to making a Bugatti Type 41 Royale.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

@Noel Smith I hadn't seen Rafal's build yet :) He has done a great job, the most accurate build I've seen of this vehicle.

@Admiral Puff The article you sent me is a great starting point on how I could approach building the wheels, it's much appreciated.

@Bozothenutter Copperstate posted an unfinished CAD render of the Tsar on Facebook a year ago asking if there was any interested in a such a kit. Since then there hasn't been any updates, or even a conformation that they will produce a kit in the future. I'd prefer to scratch build one myself now instead of sitting around waiting on the possibility of a kit being released.