Aviation trivia quiz - just a bit of fun

pigsty

Hello, Giampiero

Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario perhaps? The name would explain astronomical (actually astrological part), she was of course one of the "5" series fighters, which was built in very small number. The rest, of course, is totally new to me. Cheers

Jure

Hello, Giampiero

No, Universal came later and she was produced by Fokker America. The aircraft in question was initially built in Holland, but later also in Schwerin. Comparing to the F.II she had wider fuselage so all five passengers sat in a cabin. Cheers

Jure

21 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Giampiero

No, Universal came later and she was produced by Fokker America. The aircraft in question was initially built in Holland, but later also in Schwerin. Comparing to the F.II she had wider fuselage so all five passengers sat in a cabin. Cheers

Jure

Fokker V45?

Saluti

Giampiero

Hello, Karearea

Correct! Fokker F.III first flew in 1921 and was a development of F.II, but with unusual off-centreline engine installation. The only version without this arrangement was the one powered with Gnome radial engine. While German Junkers F.13 was clearly superior passenger aircraft, she was hampered by insuficient engine power due to Versailles treaty limitations. In Holland Fokker F.III was quite popular. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Pure guess.

River Rhine; I seem to remember some rivers now have a legal status as ‘non-human persons’ and I’m sure the pathfinders would have used it for all sorts of navigation purposes. 

That’s the one! Wanganui (the region is now spelt Whanganui to better reflect the Māori pronounciation) was the code name for the markers used when dense cloud or smoke obscured the target. Little blurb here.

The Whanganui River was granted personhood in 2017, as described here.

• Like 1

Hello, Karearea

Thank you for the links. I read about Don Bennet's version of how the names had been chosen, but I never heard about this one.

Which would have been another "best trimotor in the world", had the planned, but never built, second prototype been developed into production airliner? Cheers

Jure

1 hour ago, Karearea said:

That’s the one! Wanganui (the region is now spelt Whanganui to better reflect the Māori pronounciation) was the code name for the markers used when dense cloud or smoke obscured the target. Little blurb here.

The Whanganui River was granted personhood in 2017, as described here.

Interesting- did not know that!

• Like 1