Camouflaged Flying Fortresses, the colour of anti-glare panels

TheKinksFan

Here's something from Technical Order 01-20EF-2, Boeing B-17 F Aircraft Erection and Maintenance Instructions that I find puzzling:

2. The exterior metal surfaces of the airplanes shall be finished with one coat of camouflage paint, with color combinations in accordance with AAF Specification No. 24114. No priming coat shall be required. The interior of the inboard nacelles and the inside of the bomb doors shall not be camouflaged.

3. Anti-glare coating, one coat of metal primer followed by one or more coats of flat bronze green lacquer of enamel, shall be applied to eliminate glare on such surfaces, as the fuselage deck, forward of pilot's compartment, as the inboard side of the engine nacelles, as required.

Does this mean that officially in olive drab B-17s, the panels forward of the cockpit and the inboard nacelles were to be painted with bronze green? What kind of glare would there be if the aircraft is painted in olive drab? Does anyone know if this was ever done in practice? 

taking your questions in turn

1. yes, that is the actual meaning of the wording you have reproduced, but there may well be other countervailing or subsequent instructions

2. no significant difference in glare reduction between a flat coat of OD41 and a flat coat of Bronze Green, in comparison with natural metal

3. never seen any evidence that it was: you would expect to see the demarcation lines in at least some good quality B/W photos of overall OD aircraft. However, absence of evidence is not proof of absence, so I will keep an eye open for it in future examination of such photos

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

3. Anti-glare coating, one coat of metal primer followed by one or more coats of flat bronze green lacquer of enamel, shall be applied to eliminate glare on such surfaces, as the fuselage deck, forward of pilot's compartment, as the inboard side of the engine nacelles, as required.

I think the key words in this section are 'as required' - I would interpret this as meaning if you need anti-glare panels, this is what you should do. But if you don't (as in the case of an OD aircraft), ignore this.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Natural metal aircraft came into USAAC service in 1937, These required anti-glare panels as described in The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol. I 1908-1941 Robert Archer 1995.

Spec.98-21113-A  Color for Air Corps Airplanes.  Highly reflecting surfaces i.e. the fuselage decks forward of the pilot's compartment and the inboard side of the engine nacelles. Flat Bronze Green.  (3) 

(3) Flat Bronze Green is to match color chip No.9, Color Card Supplement SpecificationNo.3-1.  The lacquer or enamel shall produce a matte appearance of minimum gloss.

This is reiteration is a normal practice in these technical orders whatever the date to remove any doubts as what might be required  

AT-6 Texans and USN SNJs still had Bronze Green anti-glares well into 1943 as did several other training aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2