Started building the Revell 1/48 scale SR-71

I gave up with my Beech Staggerwing.  My airbrushing of the clear coat varnish clearly sucks (pun intended).  

I started building the Revell SR-71 kit in 1/48 scale.

04967_lockheed_sr_71_a_blackbird_01.jpg

Always had fondness for this plane.  I was lucky enough to see a couple back in the day when I was in Air Force.  I have always been in awe of this beast.

Speaking of beasts, the Revell kit is huge.  Been taking my time with it and got around to assembling the engine nacelles / wing combination and glued to the main fuselage.

00-I4hqQVknwgitwX_FJqVbvOXhYc8HEoFmtDrGw

I am finding that the fit and finish of the kit is very good.  I am having to fill in the gaps between the engine nacelles and the main fuselage, but that is it.

The rest of the kit's pieces are nicely detailed and assembly goes easily.

I inadvertently misaligned the two halves of the fuselage by about 1 mm longitudinally.  Did not catch the error until the following day when the glue had dried.  So needed to be a bit creative with gap filling when I assembled the nose to the fuselage.  Might have to be creative again when I assemble the ailerons.  But maybe just a bit of sanding.  We'll see when I get around to it. 

Lot more work left on this project and looking forward to finishing it.

Steve 

• Like 9

Hi Steve

I shall be following your progress on this - I’ve got a 1/48 Blackbird on the bench too at the moment (two in actual fact - a Revell one, and an Italeri one which I started about 10 years ago, and it’s still fighting me!)

There’s mixed feelings from many about the Revell kit, but compared to the Italeri/Testors offering, it’s an absolute joy to build.

Shame about the misalignment - easily done, but I’m sure you’ll sort it😁

I am planning to use the display stand with this model as I need something to keep it off the shelf and I like the looks of the two engines in the display stand ... 

04967_lockheed_sr_71_a_blackbird_02.jpg

But at the point where need to decide if I should position the landing gear up or down.  So far, I have been installing the landing gear to allow it to go either way. 

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The west wing said:

Looks like a mirror image to me, no sign of misalignment.

Nice job.

The misalignment was longitudinal ... when I positioned the top and bottom halves of the fuselage together I was checking closely that the wings stubs were aligned ... and they were.  I applied the glue and clamped everything together with several spring clips.  But I did not observe that the two halves were misaligned by about 1mm ... maybe 1.5 mm.  I had to fill the gaps at the rear ailerons and the nose piece.    

00-I4hqQVknwgitwX_FJqVbvOXhYc8HEoFmtDrGw  00-I4hqQVknwgitwX_FJqVbvOXhYc8HEoFmtDrGw

The sanding process has caused a bit of loss some surface detail.  I will likely leave it alone as my technique for re-scribing panel lines leaves a lot be desired.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the engines and mounted them to the display stand today.  Came out looking fairly nice.  Used chrome pen to highlight the hydraulic lines.  Not exactly true to life but chrome makes them stand out nicely. The exhaust stack did not fully seat inside the engine when I glued them in place.  I think they are 180 degrees out of alignment with the alignment slots ... but the cement had set up and I decided to paint a black band between the exhaust nozzle and the end of the main body of the engine (the brown bits with brown holding bands).  The casual observer is not going to notice.

I decided not to paint the display stand, but merely to apply some plastic polishing compound to take out molding flaws.

Next step is to apply decals to the airplane.  And there is whole bunch of decals, so that may take a while.

Steve

Edited by RaisingArizona
  • Like 3

I am enjoying this build.  Got a bunch of decals on in the last two days.  The decal setting solution is leaving a bit of a watermark, but I expect that will disappear when I give it a bit of a cleaning and put another coat of satin varnish on it.  Haven't placed any decals on the underside yet.  I think I will finish up with the top side first.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Podfather said:

Well done on the build! I’m still at the start of my build for this kit, and you’ve finished yours! Very impressed😁

did you get the decal watermark issue resolved?

Yes.  Lightly buffed surface with dry cloth and then lightly applied a small bit of IPA using a soft cloth.  After that dried (about 5 seconds), applied a coat of satin varnish.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...