Gordon of… Ramleh – Kora 1/72 - Finished

This morning I received an email from the librarian of Marinemuseet.  The museum is very happy to assist and have sent me 2 further photographs of their A-S Panther engine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

This morning I sent some images to the Marinemuseet with details of measurements and photos I need to progress the design of the Panther.  The Armstrong-Siddeley Cheetah is ‘half a Panther’ but the detail differences make it unsuitable.

Derek_B and I have been working on his old CAD drawings of the Jaguar engine - the forerunner of the Panther.  Bye and bye we have managed to get filescreated that could be manipulated in Fusion360 - not pretty it has to be said, but there is potential, especially at 1:72 scale.  It might be possible to scale the Jaguar to Panther proportions, add the larger gear box etc and work from there.

This is what I have to work with:

spacer.png

in many ways, it is too accurate but this image is significantly larger than 1:72.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, europapete said:

Looking good so far Tony ( not that I know ANYTHING about 3D printing mind you 🙃), and I too have the old Contrail vac Gordon in the stash. Will have to check what other aircraft used the Panther. Regards, Pete

Pete,

the Panther was used in:

Atlas

Starling

AW 16

AW 35 Scimitar 

Fairey Gordon

Fairey Seal

Fokker CV

Hawker Hoopoe

M.F.11 (which is how I discovered the example in Marinemuseet)

Supermarine Air Yacht

Prototype Wapiti

there are some pretty obscure aircraft in that list!

It’s precursor, the AS Jaguar was installed in four times as many aircraft types.

3 hours ago, europapete said:

That's quite a list, many one offs. Have the Gordon, Seal, and Atlas as 1/72 Vacs. 

Standard RAF Atlas was equipped with AS Jaguar. Panther was installed in Atlas II for export.

Tony missed a few interesting Panther installations - Norwegian Fury, Egyptian Audax (Avro 674) and Finnish Ripon.

• Thanks 1

Derek’s files are amazing, but I’ve realised that I am going to have to fill all the ‘middles’ because it would otherwise be impossible to print successfully at 1:72.

I’ve been working on Dereks files and ‘constructed’ the various components:

spacer.png

I’ve added the induction parts, which I then used to correctly position the height of the cylinders.

It all looks great - but it is a Jaguar and not a Panther;  there are a number of detail differences, some might be correctable with a bit of re-scaling, but others need revising.

I’ve also been trying to ‘solidify’ Dereks fantastically detailed work as there is no way things will print in 1:72, the work is proving beyond the capabilities of my lap-top.

• Like 1

Each time I look at the flap mechanism, for some reason it reminds me of the Alien movie.

20230910-DSC-0111.jpg

Meanwhile the kit (sans moteur) has been more or less finished and waiting for the engine (not yours, Tony, do not worry) starts reminding Waiting for Godot. In worst case, I would have to interrupt the build (which is something I do not like) and start something else.

• Like 2

And then up with the lift to the 11th floor to my best friend's flat, set the model on fire and let it fly from the balcony watching the beautiful black trail of the burning plastic ...

Last time I did it I was 45 years younger😀.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

Each time I look at the flap mechanism, for some reason it reminds me of the Alien movie.

20230910-DSC-0111.jpg

Meanwhile the kit (sans moteur) has been more or less finished and waiting for the engine (not yours, Tony, do not worry) starts reminding Waiting for Godot. In worst case, I would have to interrupt the build (which is something I do not like) and start something else.

You do not want the engine ?  If that is so, I will stop.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

You do not want the engine ?  If that is so, I will stop.

For sure I do. More than one. I just do no wish to put you under any pressure. I had another solution before you even started and that's the one I am referring to as "Godot".

I have shown photos of the CAD drawings of the Jaguar engine that just might be suitable for re-working into a Panther.  Having put everything together in Fusion360 I thought I would have a go at printing! Here are some images of the end result.

Issues - the OHV supports are wrong for the Panther, there are no ‘spark plugs’ and I’ve yet to receive any dimensions from Marinemuseet to see what needs to be tweaked - if I can, in fact, tweak the drawing!  (There is no way the cooling fins are going to print in 1:72!).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Please remember that the original CAD drawings were never created in order to make 3D models.  The various ‘print fails’ are due to the components NOT being designed for printing .

Bottom line - this is a taster - the 1:72 Panther will be different.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TeeELL said:

I have shown photos of the CAD drawings of the Jaguar engine that just might be suitable for re-working into a Panther.  Having put everything together in Fusion360 I thought I would have a go at printing! Here are some images of the end result.

Issues - the OHV supports are wrong for the Panther, there are no ‘spark plugs’ and I’ve yet to receive any dimensions from Marinemuseet to see what needs to be tweaked - if I can, in fact, tweak the drawing!  (There is no way the cooling fins are going to print in 1:72!).

Please remember that the original CAD drawings were never created in order to make 3D models.  The various ‘print fails’ are due to the components NOT being designed for printing .

Bottom line - this is a taster - the 1:72 Panther will be different.

Looks promising, Tony! Are the induction pipes indeed hollow in the CAD drawing = in the print?

Murphy’s laws are eternal and universal. As soon as I started seriously considering interrupting the build and starting new project, the engine arrived. Now, thanks to Michal Zervan (ex Radial engines & wheels 72), I have enough cylinders and selection of crankcases that will allow me to piece together the Panther. I think the improvement (as compared to the original engine from the kit) is rather obvious.

20230914-DSC-0114.jpg

And, so that I do not have to rename the thread “Panther of Ramleh”😉, two nice Gordon details as well.

20230914-DSC-0118.jpg

20230914-DSC-0120.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, TeeELL said:

More 3D black magic! Incredible work by both @Patrik and @TeeELL

I've no particular interest in the specific subject tbh, but... I wonder?🤔 Always had a bit of a soft spot for these British interwar types, patrolling the far flung reaches of empire in their silver finishes - especially the magestic flying boats. I've always been put off by the challenge of rigging and I really do have far too many projects on the go but I am tempted, very tempted.😆  

Perhaps one for my own back burner. 

Rich

5 hours ago, TeeELL said:

OK Patrik, you’ve obviously got the engine sorted, I’ll put my work on the back burner.

I think that justification is needed. PM sent.

Tony @TeeELL, while researching for the Panther I came across an important difference from the Jaguar. Whereas the induction pipes are correct for the Jaguar as presented by the 3D print, they have different arrangement for the Panther (sketched in red below). If you were aware of that, kindly ignore my post😀.

20230916-Panther.jpg