Absolute frustration - rigging!

Roland Pulfrew

I make aircraft in 1/100 scale. I love WWI and I've done several. Always I had dificult to do the aircarft cables - a problem that tired me. Once a time, during a chat in a modelism event, a old guy (realy old, over 70 year old - and modelling!) tell me that him wore sewing thread.

Use polyamide sewing thread; unravel and separate the strands that are braided and use a filament; run superglue along the filament and wait for it to dry, using fine sandpaper to remove any ruffled microfilaments.

To "installing" the cables I make holes in the places where the cable passes; I insert the cable into one of the holes and glue it with superglue; once dry I insert the last end into the other hole and apply sole again, holding the line in place for a few seconds. It's kind of difficult, but with some practice it's possible to get good results.

This is the result on a model of a Morane-Saulnier Type L 1/100 scale that, supposedly (according to my research 🤔), was piloted by Rolland Garros.

this is the result on a model of a ship that supposedly, according to my research, was from Rolland Garros.

p?i=dbdb7190123bbdc6a606eaf5e394b8c4

I hope help you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don’t use E-Z Line for rigging; I began using it 20+ years ago and many of the 1/48 WWI models have snapped wires.  Could be the tension or the acc I used to glue the thread in place but over time the material breaks down. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cduckworth said:

Don’t use E-Z Line for rigging; I began using it 20+ years ago and many of the 1/48 WWI models have snapped wires.  Could be the tension or the acc I used to glue the thread in place but over time the material breaks down. 

It's a bit of a gamble. I've used it since it became available, with no visible deterioration (the rigging, not me), but I don't use much tension and only accelerator if I have to. OTOH I used to de-strand the stuff to make thinner rigging, like control wires, and most of that has perished. I've had similar problems as you with elastic rigging thread of other makes though - lycra seems impervious, anything else, less so.

Paul.