Airfix B-26B-50-MA Marauder. 1/72.

I can't remember if I built this while I was on Britmodeller before or after, or if its ever been in Britmodeller at all.

It was an older kit, and it had its foibles, but actually went together well in the end. I have always liked the Marauder, just 'something' about it; it was also an aircraft that was fitted with the Pratt & Whitney R-2800-05 Double Wasp🐝🐝 engines.

It had a troubled childhood because pilots didnt like it, found it hard to handle during take off and landing and a number of accidents occurred which put many other pilots off it. They knew it as 'The widow maker', it also had other less savoury names, but this is a family show so I wont quote them!🤔
It was not a good aircraft for less experienced pilots but some more experienced pilots of the 22nd, 38th and the 42nd Bomb Groups, were to prove the merits of it. There was a rumour going around that it could not be flown with one engine but Gen. Jimmy Doolittle disproved this with a number of demonstration flights, taking off and landing with only one engine! In addition 17 'W.A.S.P.S. were trained to fly it, in a bid to shame the pilots who wouldn't fly it, into the air!

The build of mine was fairly straightforward as was painting it but come decal-time it was NOT going so well; being an older kit the decals were breaking up in the water or not coming off the paper at all so I ordered some aftermarket ones, the ones I chose were for 42-95987 "Yo-Yo Champ" flown by Lt A.J. Wood of the 497th Bs, 344th Bg with the 9th USAAF, at Dijon, France after D-Day when the groups were starting to move to the continent to carry out operations from captured or newly made airfields there.

My issue besides the decals not being much use was that it was a matt surface and it was before I'd 'discovered' "Klear" as a bedding agent for my decals! I had painted an acrylic varnish onto an enamel matt paint (Duh:wall:) and the area looked as if it had gone frosty. I had to remove the paint in those areas, repaint and then seal it with Humbrol Satincote so that my decals would work. We all live and learn! Anyway, it did eventually come to fruition, and here it is!

I liked the idea of an open bomb bay and loved how the doors folded so my mind was made up!

053233-DC-0503-4-E86-A302-B6-A7-E1-DC6-F

1-C83860-A-2-E6-C-4-E1-C-823-E-3-DFC30-D

38-CC8-FBE-0585-4158-ABAF-2-C02-FFFC4-F8

586-C0-A5-A-87-A9-4-E21-B40-A-37-C65-CBE

5-E71-DB87-43-E5-4-F9-C-8-FE2-BA9-CF8-E4

C25833-BF-4-D81-419-D-8715-0-DAF10-DF4-B

DFD24-E30-52-C3-42-F6-A3-D8-72-D0-C28091

Enjoy!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark

It's with some degree of irony that I glanced & thought, "I wonder if that's "New Mark" from Lanarkshire ?" - (Well now I know, it is !)

You & I have already (briefly) met online, as you joined "ModelHangar3", the diecast forum back in January - (or was it December ?)

Anyways, "Hawny" here has ALWAYS had a deep, deep LOVE of the Martin B.26 Marauder, which started in 1969/1970/1971

Back then, AIRFIX didn't even have or 'do' a B.26 Marauder & also back then, FROG's distribution was either "patchy or dire" at best, locally.

Wasn't until I went on early spring Holiday back in 1971, that I finally snagged the FROG B.26 Marauder, which I really loved & enjoyed !

So much so, that nostalgia dictated that I'd buy another (Mint, for collecting, not to build), back around 2016, in the same box-art packaging.

Despite I have many of the Monogram B.26's (in 1/48th), I've always liked the AIRFIX (1973) offering that you've built, as it's a "sexy plane" !

Kick myself now, for not picking-up the (famous) "Yo Yo Champ" decals in 1/48th, as I've passed-up two opportunities now.

Good to see that you've utilised them on your lovely build  -  Looks great to me  -  Plus of course it's "An Essex Bird" (Stansted Gal)

Tell me, does it drop it chips when ya talk 'dirty' to it ?     💔

P.S  ;  Incidentally - I just picked one of these up, on the 6th Feb' IPMS show over at Sculthorpe. Mint 1973 boxed, for a 'tenner'  (£10.00)

Edited by Hornchurch
  • Like 1

It looks great, whatever the decal difficulties.

Re frosty varnish, I've heard of but never personally tried, a fix for that. Apparently, If you apply another coat of the varnish, the frost goes away. Since I heard of that, it's never happened to me but it's something I keep in mind for when it does.

12 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks great, whatever the decal difficulties.

Re frosty varnish, I've heard of but never personally tried, a fix for that. Apparently, If you apply another coat of the varnish, the frost goes away. Since I heard of that, it's never happened to me but it's something I keep in mind for when it does.

Strangely enough I did give it another coat; and it was just as frosty when it dried again.😐 Anyway, I learned from it!😁 Pip-pip!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Strangely enough I did give it another coat; and it was just as frosty when it dried again.😐 Anyway, I learned from it!😁 Pip-pip!

Well I won't bother with that one then. Thanks for the first hand info.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 17:34, Paul Alan Bardell said:

Hi

That's a good looking B26 -  great work.

Not sure if I have one of these in the stash (not been in the loft for ages) but if I haven't, its on my shopping list.

B R

:poppy:

In my opinion it’s a great addition to any collection, and was a terrific aircraft, I’ve always liked them since I first saw a model of one. I was waiting for a die cast version but after two years waiting I decided to cancel it and then found this kit; just HAD to have it!😉

• Like 1

Nice and sober paint scheme.

And I agree with you: the Marauder has something special that is devilishly attractive.

Well done!

JR

• Thanks 1

That's an excellent looking B-26. Seen a great colour photo of "Yo Yo Champ" in The Ninth Air Force in colour by Roger Freeman. Quite fancy building a Marauder. Just got 3 1/72 diecast ones for now.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

That's an excellent looking B-26. Seen a great colour photo of "Yo Yo Champ" in The Ninth Air Force in colour by Roger Freeman. Quite fancy building a Marauder. Just got 3 1/72 diecast ones for now.

3 Marauders?

9 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

3 Marauders?

Yes, all Forces of Valor. Here's "Flak Bait", with "The Big Hairy Bird" visible just underneath. Also got "Shootin' In"

26545597059_c332d97030_z.jpg059 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

I've also got 2 nice 1/100 Marauders by Model Power and a 1/144 one by Atlas Editions.