Lightning F-5E -2 43-28333 Lanakila 7th PRG Photo help

DOD

Hi All

This is one on my current PR projects and recently came across a photo I had not seen before. Unfortunately it is very small/poor quality. I have photos that show the nose very clearly but this is the only one that takes in the whole aircraft. It looks like it was taken about the same time.

y4mVlZo5WF95ELwlICQi7jhAKB5zDr2hEVi-khNF

This is one of what I have.

y4mLV9sd0GdAvBK9rnNkAFIjk_FaTbt2XSpBzYkK

I have searched everywhere!. It looks like a Robert Astrella but no joy in the IWM/American Air Museum in Britain.

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where I might find a bigger/better quality photo?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

David

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Hi, thanks for reply but I have these and they show only the nose. I am trying to find a bigger version of the small photo that shows the whole aircraft.

Cheers 

David 

Similar question from 2008 on a different site said that a very good version is in  "War Eagles in Original Color" by Ethell Bodie. Unfortunately the posted version has disappeared on that thread.

Interesting to see a better copy - note the difference in the wheel hub cour between the two versions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

Similar question from 2008 on a different site said that a very good version is in  "War Eagles in Original Color" by Ethell Bodie. Unfortunately the posted version has disappeared on that thread.

Interesting to see a better copy - note the difference in the wheel hub cour between the two versions.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I believe it is from that site I discovered the small picture. I have a copy of the War Eagles book and it does have a huge detailed photo but, again, just of the nose area, unfortunately. I was trying to see what the boom area was like.

Cheers 

David 

There are several other F5-E shots in the collection that do show the rest better, just not Lanakila. 

Unfortunately, the AAM website is now down for maintenance but the following resource IDs may help

FRE_005360 7PRG_MtFarm_F5E - downsized pic from my personal storage:

y4mkMhZsN9dUNcbddj22VE6VM0n75wol6xOrDeOq

AnF-5Lightningofthe13thPhotographicReconnaissanceSquadron7thPhotographicReconnaissanceGrouptaxyingatMountFarmImagebyRobertAstrella7thPhoto

Again: downsized pic

y4mDRdGHIPA3i3ExB-R5ZBqU3UaqlGr0_2q97PH8

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Note that some of these may be Haze, rather than PRU Blue, which could help explain the patchy look. @Dana Bell might have something to say about that? (Hi Dana)

So they go to all that trouble of developing an "invisible" paint and then the squadrons paint their spinners bright orange/red! Who'd be a boffin.

• Haha 2

Well, in this case perhaps the initial desire for "security" has been taken over by a brash confidence (cockiness).  Note the partial invasion stripes.  (I'm also not at all sure about the Haze paint, the possibility just crossed my mind.)