Eye of the Tiger - RSAF RF-5S

I have started the next build in my RSAF series. This time, the AFV Club 1/48 RF-5S. So far, I am liking this kit. A bit flashy in places but, once this is cleared off, the fit is great. Not shake n bake, but close.

Cockpit is complete - splash of paint, Posca pens for the details and a rub with Flory washes for that slightly used look. 

2UivwA7.jpg

lnXfO2g.jpg

tu4om5r.jpg

Added a couple of hoses to the seat plus some belts, all made from lead wire. I had a resin seat to use but the kit seat scrubs up well and so I have used that.

5BNO0lY.jpg

8M7ECEi.jpg

Close up shots don't do it many favours, but it looks good from 9-iron range.

I have started to button up the front end and work on the back end. More pics in the near(ish) future.

Cheers

Don

• Like 2

Nice start Don, A mate built the kit some time ago and it came out looking quite nice.

Will this be in the grey scheme.  I recall RSAF Tigers at RAAF Williamtown back in the 80s, they were a nice change to seeing all the Mirages on the flight line.

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice start Don, A mate built the kit some time ago and it came out looking quite nice.

Will this be in the grey scheme.  I recall RSAF Tigers at RAAF Williamtown back in the 80s, they were a nice change to seeing all the Mirages on the flight line.

Thanks, yes, I am going for the standard grey scheme. I don't have the airbrushing skills to do the camo version.

I am liking this kit more and more as the build progresses. It generally clicks together without too much fuss. I have almost finished the airframe and then it is in to the landing gear and details bits. 

• Like 1

Sorry for not posting many WIP photos, the kit is falling together faster than I can take photos.

The basic airframe is together now, I have sprayed flat aluminium in the gear bays and on the landing gear. I used Tamiya lacquer paint for the first time and quite like it. Seems to be very forgiving of this foolish paint sprayer. Some minor seam work to finish and then I think it may be time for FS36118. 

Zk9zOAs.jpg

O3A6Chz.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/23/2021 at 1:08 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looking very nice Don

Thanks!

I have now attached all the dangly bits and will get some more pics soon. However, I just wanted to mention the decals. I have just started with these and oh boy! They seem super thin and sink into the surface amazingly well. I am impressed by that bit. But, it is almost impossible to get them off the backing sheet regardless of how long I soak them. It's almost as if the decals have been wet and then dried out again. I guess it is the humidity here and the storage conditions. On the plus side the decals are incredibly resilient. I spent 20 minutes getting one large wing walk decal of the sheet and then tangled it up. It took me ages, floating it in water, to untangle. Then I had to get it out of the water and onto the model. To do this, I cut a piece of plastic bag and put it under the decal and lifted it out of the water. Tangled it again, so rinse and repeat. Finally got it onto the wing, probably 30-40 minutes of angst.

I have another one to do tomorrow, plus all the other remaining decals. Wish me luck!

So, as mentioned, the flappy, dangly bits are all on:

imArYCW.jpg

D2yZhIv.jpg

And now the decals...

First, the aforementioned and offending wing walk decal(s):

iq1Se3h.jpg

These decals sink into the surface detail beautifully. I have used some setting solution but I am not sure it is really needed.

Both wings done, after considerable sweat and tears

FLydwog.jpg

And started the port side. These decals are like onion skin, extremely thin but very tough. They can take considerable manipulation without crumbling under pressure.

oCgELQS.jpg

pDBM1ys.jpg

I painted the bare metal and nozzles with Mr Super Metallic Chrome Silver. Amazing stuff! It will dull down under a coat of semi-gloss clear and a bit of weathering which will give me the look I am looking for.

Still loving this kit and will gladly build another one, probably an F-5E if I can get one. Although, I am not looking forward to another set of these decals!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...