RCAF Lancaster Mk.10MP, 1958.*** PHEW! IN THE GALLERY 08/08/2021***

DaveyGair

Having 'rested' this build because of problems of my own making, I did a few different GB's just to get some mojo back, I've now decided to crack on with this even though it's going to be below par by my standard. I nearly shelved it pending a strip-down of the paint and try to do more work on the filling on the side windows but decided to crack on this week to try and get it finished.

I did some more paint and painted the lowers on the wings and fuselage, I applied the red stripes along the sides of the fuselage but they were terrible, maybe the age of them although it's a while (decades!) since I did a Hasegawa kit and can't remember what they were like. They just broke up all the time so I've had to resort to touching in with paint, which of course aren't exactly straight!

I mulled over painting the large band around the fuselage rear but decided to try the decal in the kit, which promptly broke up as well!

So I painted the band and on removing the masking after doing the Orange it picked some of the paint off, a bit of touching in is required 🤬

DSC_0008

I'll post some more pictures when I get the decalling done and touch in the all the paint.

Hopefully will get this finished this week for the end of the GB, just stuff like the undercarriage to do, the wings are ready to go one being pre-painted.

Davey.

• Like 8

Here's where we are now. The main decals on the fuselage are on, I discovered I've made the band around the fuselage a bit too long so the codes aren't quite correctly spaced in there but I'm not about to try and correct it.

I've painted the Red/Orange panels, difficult to decide if it the right shade but I'm happy with it.

The 'Klear' I splashed around in an attempt to seal in the horrible decals has shown up in the flash of the photo's, just looks 'weathered' in real life😁

The wheel bays need finished painting inside and the undercarriage and other sundry items added and painted then it's all down to finishing the decalling, including the rear Red dividing lines, not looking forward to that!

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 8

Hi Davey,

My lad has just started the A Model 1/144 kit of this exact aircraft. It will really help us get the right colours - being Canadian myself I know the ongoing agonies over red/orangey red and orange.

Your build is certainly impressive so will start following it and see what you come up with 🙂

• Thanks 1

• DaveyGair changed the title to RCAF Lancaster Mk.10MP, 1958.*** PHEW! IN THE GALLERY 08/08/2021***
On 8/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Davey,

My lad has just started the A Model 1/144 kit of this exact aircraft. It will really help us get the right colours - being Canadian myself I know the ongoing agonies over red/orangey red and orange.

Your build is certainly impressive so will start following it and see what you come up with 🙂

Thanks Adrian, it really doesn't look that impressive close up but here we are all finished and she looks quite good in the photo's, just don't close in on any of the pictures!

So, I really nearly gave up on this, to be stripped and made into another scheme but I decided to persevere.

Apart from;

1. Making a right fist of filling in all the windows in the fuselage, I thought later I should have filled in with sprue welded into the holes maybe?

2. I really should practice re-scribing. I lost most of the panel lines along the sides, I have a tool but I'm useless at it and gave up.

3. The decals just kept breaking up, nearly making me abandon this a second time!

4. Painting the fuselage band too wide so the markings are slightly out of kilter.

5. I forgot to add the 'Aluminium' coloured decals for the outlines on the letters on said fuselage band!

6. The Orange panels on the main wings are slightly different, I masked one of them off one a panel line too far or shorter than the other one, didn't spot it until after all the decals had been applied.

...... I think she looks Ok in the photo's and I'm pleased I finished her. Something different to display.

Thanks for all the comments, see you in other GB's maybe?

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0007

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Davey, you goof. Why are you so dissatisfied with such an EXCELLENT job. Well done - Love it 😊 

Cheers Adrian, I think it's just I know I should and could have done better. Looks OK on display anyway.

Davey.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 21:36, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Davey,

Good luck with that one!!!  I built the standard B.III Lanc by A Model and it was a bad experience. Not the easiest of kits to build.  I didn't bother with any of the etch as it is very thin and delicate.  I have still got the build( it was an early lockdown build) and it will end up on sale some time as is.

• Like 1

That has come out quite well. Not your fault but the wing roundels also had silver outlines when against the red areas. I built and Airfix 1979 issue kit as FM104 but in a later scheme using Leading Edge Decals. As a matter of interest, the actual airframe still exists and under restoration at the BCAM Museum on Vancouver Island ,Canada. I saw it in 2006 while with the collection that was at Downsview., Toronto before that museum closed .

• Thanks 1