weathering

alecras234

for what it's worth . . . . and i hate to throw another youtube into the mix . . . . but reading a post in another forum encouraged me to do just that .... focus on one part at a time. when each part is trimmed and had the mold lines removed, only then add it to the model. i see models built by guys with 30 years experience with seams running right across or glued into locations "close enough" with no plausible explanation how the part would function in the real world. when your assembly is built well, then get it primed. you'll be surprised how much work selecting the correct primer - brand & color - will take. i'm almost 70 and have build models since "assisting" my older cousin starting about 5 years old when he gently explained to me "you don't have to use Every decal on the sheet". i don't know how anyone built a model before the internet. research & answers are available to every question (absolute statement which i never make!).

anyway, try watching a couple of Hunter's "basic series" and it may help your perspective. warning: he has a strong personality which has softened over time, but this video is 5 years old and he had just turned the corner!

• Like 1

the model car guys practice spraying on plastic spoons. nothing says you can only paint models. the paint used is an investment in your skills, it might help???

Edited by s.e.charles

Hi Ash,

If you enjoy model making and painting, ask yourself the following questions.....

Do you NEED to weather the kits you build? This is the current trend it appears , but when I first started building in the 70's weathering models was definitely not as prominent as it is today. 

Are you building to enter them in a comp or to post pics on a modelling forum - or would you be happy to display a 'factory finished' model in your display cabinet?

Do you build dioramas? If so then weathering is probably a good idea in most cases. 

If you are happy to build and finish a kit to your standards then don't feel any pressure to have to weather anything. I can appreciate those modellers who are always seeking to improve their techniques and skills and I understand this fully, but if this approach causes your grief and stress and makes you contemplate giving up the hobby, maybe just build 'factory finish' unweathered kits and be satisfied with your efforts. We all build kits for different reasons. The best reason is to feel a sense of accomplishment and to destress. 

I am sure there are many modellers out there who buck the trend and don't weather their models at all.  Build for enjoyment. It is your hobby!

I hope these comments help. 

Jason

• Like 3

My suggestion to you is find an old model or toy even, and practice your weathering techniques on that instead of a model that you have just built. Just keep trying what ever method takes your fancy until you're happy with a result, before applying it to your latest build. I've been doing this for 50+ years and sometimes I'm still not happy with the result.

John.

• Like 1

there's also weathering pencils. regular lead pencils for metal shine, and AK makes several, really several!, different colors. very user friendly and forgiven - can be removed with a cotton swab dampened with water.

• Thanks 1