Bartoline Clean Spirit

Karlj72

Intriguing! If nothing else, if it works as a brush cleaner, I'd buy it just for that.

Incidentally, I tried Bartoline's Low Odour White spirit as a thinner for enamels (Humbrol and Colourcoats) and it turned both into a gloopy mess. It's fine for brush cleaning, but best to avoid it for anything else.

4 hours ago, Karlj72 said:

Bartoline

Is this stuff any good for:

washes

Oils

pigments

Just looking for a cheap alternative.

Thanks

You say "a cheap alternative" What are you using now that's expensive? I used to use pure artists turpentine for all stuff. Big bottle, pretty cheap, lasted ages..

37 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

You say "a cheap alternative" What are you using now that's expensive? I used to use pure artists turpentine for all stuff. Big bottle, pretty cheap, lasted ages..

Not using anything at the moment,but not paying AK and MIG prices.I was going to order a litre of Bob Ross odorless thinners but everywhere is out of stock.

Problem sometimes with cheaper alternatives such as white spirit is that they are great for cleaning up, but as a thinner they are a bit low quality. I always use the same thinner brand as the paint I'm using, it's usually designed to work with that paint and it is better quality than plain white spirit. If used for just thinning the paint a bottle usually lasts me a good while. I use anything as a cleaner for brushes or flushing out my airbrush after spray sessions.