Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther

Jasper dog

36 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well buddy i would say we are level pegging at the moment.....i stripped the practice head again only to do worse on the next try....can't understand why i'm having such a hard time at this.....uniforms no problem... weathering vehicles no problem... scratch building no problem...painting faces absolute nightmare it's starting to feel like a mental block...i spent last night reading Shepard Paine's book on figure painting and it was (pardon the pun) an eye opener.....he doesn't recommend painting the whites at all on 50-54mm figures but to just use a higher shade of the flesh tone and darken the upper lid...can't even get that right but it does indeed look far more natural...gonna keep reading and working on my brush control...incidentally the use of those army painter brushes really did make things easier.....perhaps on your next shopping spree might be worth you getting some and put them aside for figures only.

Keep plugging away bud your doing better than me at the moment.

Hmmmmm, me thinks you might be a touch ahead, however.

Likewise I'm reasonably happy with the body and uniform, doubt any of us are entirely happy with a creation, we all know we could have done something differently,  well I do!

I've ordered these eye decals but doubt I'll see them for a month or so, coming from China, see how they help....

Funny you should mention brushes (I'm hopeless at keeping brushes decent btw) however I bought a set of relatively cheap artists brushes, larger than I'd normally go for but ..... so much easier than tiny 00/000 size brushes for getting in and around the balls.

(So sorry, no Carry On moment intended....:whistle:).

I've a book, Osprey I think, on painting German figures and they look superb, using oils and acrylic, and so easy.....If I ever meet the fellow that wrote that book.....

Someone also said don't paint the entire mouth,  just the lower lip.  Looked great btw, until I tried to "Improve/emphasise" it.

I've no doubt we'll get there, eventually.....

Speaking of making it look easy:

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I found that a visit to planetfigure.com invaluable for a bit of coaching on painting faces, they have a few tutorials on painting flesh tones using acrylics. They really make it look easy, but go have a poke around you will learn a few things from these guys. 

Thanks Dan, I'll go and have a look, how hard can it be after all??

One day......

Thanks again chaps for taking the time.

Darryl 

• Like 2

Everyone has their own methods for face painting, but just to give you my take on it. I cover the whole face with an unthinned base coat. Next, a darker, thinned wash to get into all of the creases. I then paint a white slit for the eyes, and for the iris, I use a very pointed cocktail stick with just a dab of paint (usually black) on the tip, and just dab that in place. It's easier to position it using the stick instead of a brush. I'm no expert when it comes to figure painting and don't particularly want to be as for me, the figure is secondary to the model. They are usually there to give scale or to fill a gaping hole such as an open hatch. So long as it's presentable, it'll do for me.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just one on the brushes, I use the black handled Tamiya HD paint brushes. They have become my go to paint brushes for figure painting, they hold their tip well and really do last well. Not as expensive as some of the brushes out there but quality wise they are hard to beat. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Everyone has their own methods for face painting, but just to give you my take on it. I cover the whole face with an unthinned base coat. Next, a darker, thinned wash to get into all of the creases. I then paint a white slit for the eyes, and for the iris, I use a very pointed cocktail stick with just a dab of paint (usually black) on the tip, and just dab that in place. It's easier to position it using the stick instead of a brush. I'm no expert when it comes to figure painting and don't particularly want to be as for me, the figure is secondary to the model. They are usually there to give scale or to fill a gaping hole such as an open hatch. So long as it's presentable, it'll do for me.

John.

Thanks John, for some reason I'm even struggling to hit the eyeball will a sharpened cocktail stick. (Might explain my trouble figure painting..:tumble:)

As you say the figure is secondary, if anyone questions that I'll refere them to back here...

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Just one on the brushes, I use the black handled Tamiya HD paint brushes. They have become my go to paint brushes for figure painting, they hold their tip well and really do last well. Not as expensive as some of the brushes out there but quality wise they are hard to beat. 

Thanks Dan, must invest in some decent hairy sticks, I'll look them up.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1