RAF Tomahawk (P-40B/C)

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone... Quick question concerning RAF Tomahawks ? On Hurricanes and Spitfires the RAF used doped linen to cover over the gun openings. How did they handle the exposed .303 barrels wing guns and .50 cal. nose guns on Tomahawk ? Did they wrap the barrel or just the tip, or did they not cover these guns at all on Tomahawks ?  Thank you in advance for any help ? 

Dennis

Dennis

They used both methods certainly in the Middle East as shown in the Pictures above, for the UK based aircraft I've seen both methods as well as no dope at all (especially on the .303, not so much on the .30 cals)

Buz

• Thanks 1

These remarks are specifically relevant only to the Tomahawks operated from the UK by 403, 400, 414 and 432 squadrons, RCAF from April 1941 to January 1943. I am uncertain to what degree they might apply to similar RAF squadrons in the UK during this period. The comments are almost entirely photo-derived, based on the approximately 135 photos that I have of these aircraft, mainly from 400 and 414. Essentially, while the first few ex-French contract Tomahawks delivered to 400 in April 1941 appear to have had, for a few weeks, neatly fitted caps over the gun muzzles (possibly neatly trimmed and doped fabric?), all other photos in my possession show no covering at any time, either temporary or permanent. This applies both to the nose and to the wing armament including the mixed .30/.303 later wing outfit. If I were to model or otherwise portray these aircraft, I would show the gun muzzles nude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The RAF used red adhesive coated pre-cut patches over the gun ports of Hurricanes and Spitfires.  Only doped fabric in extemis.  Thus on protruding barrels the patch would be placed over the end and them wrapped back around the barrel.  This subject has been well  covered in previous postings about Spitfires and Hurricanes.

• Thanks 1