Hesegawa 1/72 F/A-18E & F/A-18F Boxings

Uncle Dick

Has Hasegawa updated the heat exchangers on their catalogue 1/72 F/A-18E & F/A-18F Boxings (that is to say specifically in the box 00549 & 00549 (they had the recessed rectangular exchange exhausts on both when initially released) I have noticed they have the newer exchangers (with the strakes) in all their other recent limited edition boxings - just wondering if they appear in the catalogue boxes below now or are they still the old mould? I have lots of aftermarket decals and so am not worried about the using the box decals just want to build kits with the upgraded exchangers and if one wants to buy a limited edition from Hasegawa they are roughly twice the price of the catalogue standard release  boxings...

04298c.jpg

104621-11185-pristine.jpg

103343-11185-83-pristine.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dick

For what I've seen in some recent auctions and pictures they are still offering the basic ECS in the single seater and the later one in the Growler boxing, don't know about the normal two seater, also inside the instruction they have completely omitted the panel line changes warning which is always found in their limited edition boxes.

Luigi

I've just got the Hasagawa boxing of the "E" in the VFA-147 ARGONAUTS CAG scheme - yes the new ECS stacks are moulded into the kit. (EDIT : sorry, just read your original post properly, you already knew what I just said - D'oh!, sorry)

27114392058_186f6e1682_z.jpgIMG_3126 

(I've also splashed out on the wing fold by res-im (Res-IM 7229 Resin 1/72 McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18E/F/G Super Hornet wing fold set) which was on Evil bay for a steal - hornets parked without slats & flaps just look wrong!! and if you are gonna spend £25 ish for a kit, an extra £10 for a wing fold seems ok.

• 1 month later...

RES-IM does have 1/72 F-18 ECS Exhausts (7202) that should work for the Hasegawa kits.  I haven't tried them myself and need to, as I have several of the Hasegawa F/A-18E and F kits with the old ECS exhausts.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for that - although on researching their product they do not have the fins/vents already placed on the raised panel which I take it you would have to scratch build not to mention placing each individual fin equidistant to the next there are 10 of them which might be a tough ask given how small they are?

resim7202reviewmd_1.jpg

If only QUICKBOOST did their 1/32 & 1/48 scale offering (see below image) in 1/72 much superior to RESI-IM as you do not have to glue each fin and you don't have to build a scratch panel for each side! I wonder why QUICKBOOST did not do it in 1/72 scale if they did them in 1/32 and 1/48????? What a pity...

821d2ba293266ff1192527f140340ca6.image.4

I think what you do, Uncle Dick, is cut them off and put 5 of them together on each side.  They do have a raised rectangle they sit on.  Guessing, though, as I haven't used them.  I totally agree that the Quickboost ones in 1/72 would be far superior and a lot easier to install.  Wish they did make them in 1/72!  I have 6 F/A18Es and 6 F/A-18Fs to to modify.  Here's hoping...

Thanks for the Quickboost picture!

Tom

On 7/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, tmeyer said:

I think what you do, Uncle Dick, is cut them off and put 5 of them together on each side.  They do have a raised rectangle they sit on.  Guessing, though, as I haven't used them.  I totally agree that the Quickboost ones in 1/72 would be far superior and a lot easier to install.  Wish they did make them in 1/72!  I have 6 F/A18Es and 6 F/A-18Fs to to modify.  Here's hoping...

Thanks for the Quickboost picture!

Tom

Hi Tom

They do that on 1/72 scale only that I don't remember from where I got mine

Best modeling 

Armando