PK-401 Heinkel He 115 3-Colour Kit 'Bare' Build

Ventora3300

These are brilliant the painted version looks great, colours spot on for me but I love the unpainted one with its finish I kind of wish I,d done a similar

thing with an aircraft kit.

• Thanks 1

All canopy frame painting now complete and masking removed. Tidied up the frame lines which came out blue rather than green.

100_1874

All fiddling and touch ups now complete, time to leave it alone - if I knock that pitot tube off one more time, I'll ....

Here it is on the Matchbox adjustable stand - a really effective way of adding a bit of life to the model so more full marks to Matchbox. The He.115 looks like it is off on a mission.

100_1872100_1873100_1876

100_1875

Ready for the aerial wire - going to use 'titanium' coloured fishing line.

• Like 3

Aerial wires now on both the 'bare' plus mini paint plan enhancements and the fully painted He.115's. So that must mean that they are finished!

100_1925

100_1927

100_1923100_1922

Let's compare then....does a 'bare' build still excite? of course it does!

100_1929100_1930100_1931100_1937

It has been an absolute pleasure building these two with the usual ups and downs along the way. My first Matchbox models and this has given me the highest regard for this brand. Managed to get the bug and greatly increase the size of my Matchbox stash as a consequence.

Fantastic inspiration and help/encouragement along the way from the other GB participants - many thanks to you all.

Pictures in the Gallery shortly and that will let Rabbit Leader (a.k.a. Dave) update the statistics!

Got the job done within the original deadline so time for another Matchbox kit in the extended week???

• Like 6

Stat's updated Mike ... and thanks for giving me the extra work with the latest P-40N build!! 

These two Heinkels have really turned out lovely and I'll be honest I'm not sure which one is actually my favourite.

It's so good to see that after all the encouragement that you have sent my way (and I'm sure countless others) that you yourself have got a couple of built models squared away in the GB gallery - well done. 

Looking forward to the P-40 build and I'm sure we'll cross modelling paths within the other 2018 GB's later on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Stat's updated Mike ... and thanks for giving me the extra work with the latest P-40N build!! 

These two Heinkels have really turned out lovely and I'll be honest I'm not sure which one is actually my favourite.

It's so good to see that after all the encouragement that you have sent my way (and I'm sure countless others) that you yourself have got a couple of built models squared away in the GB gallery - well done. 

Looking forward to the P-40 build and I'm sure we'll cross modelling paths within the other 2018 GB's later on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers for that, Dave. I am learning here about Matchbox and I think the Dark Green/Light Green/Grey colours and no stand version of the kit is slightly later than the beige/brown/blue version with stand. I should have checked the stamped dates in both kits. Anyway, the Dark Green/Light Green/Grey version was definitely the one to leave 'bare', I think. A big tick for Matchbox for the quality of their engineering and fit - I'm now hooked and will do many more.

Look forward to bumping into you in the Airfix 'Golden Years' GB later this year, I hope - in the meantime, your Tempest build has inspired me to look at attempting a Frog Sea Fury X in the Britmodeller 10th Anniversary GB - I might even try weathering on that one!

All the best.

Mike

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:29, stevej60 said:

These are brilliant the painted version looks great, colours spot on for me but I love the unpainted one with its finish I kind of wish I,d done a similar

thing with an aircraft kit.

Thanks, Steve - I've had great fun in researching the Luftwaffe colours and it was an added bonus to go for the 'sea' versions of the splinter greens rather than the 'land' versions.

I found that adding paint embellishments to the first kit could be done at a relaxed pace as the kit was built so I got to fly it about the room while the paint was drying! The props spin but the models don't float! (for the reasons specified..). I also learned to never put masking tape anywhere near finished decals, coated or otherwise.

However, I think Matchbox did a lot of the work in making the bare/mini paint plan version an option given the basic '3-colours' of the kit.

Also, I loved your armour builds with the mini-dioramas so that has opened up another 'must-do' area for me. I don't know where I'll find the time.

All the best.

Mike