1/72 F8F Bearcat

Magua87

• 3 weeks later...

Still at it. Might be a close call, but I'm still aiming for completion by the 27th. I've given up on the canopy for now (destroyed one vac-formed canopy) and have moved onto painting.

Ready for paint.

yTu2WyZl.jpg

Silver undercoat.

VLV1YXil.jpg

Jumping into the deep end with salt weathering. I've never tried anything like this before. A coat of Midnight Blue to follow tonight hopefully. Post-shading to follow before the salt comes off.

VJ7VD5Wl.jpg

• Like 2

Good good. I don't think that's overdone at all- those French Bearcats were really beat up by the end of the conflict. You might want to consider sponging on a bit of chromate primer colour too- boots wear through this layer first before they reach bare metal!

Oh and I've just found from experimentation that Humbrol 'rust' weathering powder is a very good match for Vietnamese dust...

Will

Good good. I don't think that's overdone at all- those French Bearcats were really beat up by the end of the conflict. You might want to consider sponging on a bit of chromate primer colour too- boots wear through this layer first before they reach bare metal!

Oh and I've just found from experimentation that Humbrol 'rust' weathering powder is a very good match for Vietnamese dust...

Will

Hmmm. I'd started on the gloss coat before reading this. I think I'll finish the gloss coat (needs another), place the decals and reassess. I think I'll need to use a sponge dipped in aluminium for the markings (if I'm feeling brave!) and I could follow up with some chromate.

An evening's work.

TS7ROgVl.jpg

quRAqwfl.jpg

I should have read the decal sheet more closely. I need to paint the rudder white as only blue and red stripes are provided on the sheet. I've left the rest of the markings off the tail so I can mask it this weekend.

10 days to go!

• Like 2

Gunze white acrylic applied to the tail. Decals to follow tomorrow.

CF8kpLRl.jpg

kuTx6ecl.jpg

Lots to do over the next week or so!

• Midnight blue touch ups on the landing gear and fuel tank.
  • Ordinance to be painted.
  • Cockpit glass to be attached and painted.
  • Flat coat.
  • Pastels!
  • Like 3

Thanks, Patrice. It's a little random in places as I was trying to simulate extra wear to break up the monotone midnight blue (I didn't get around to the post-shading).

Decals all done. Final gloss coat to follow tomorrow.

Almost there!

Canopy attached.

qJVQc7tl.jpg

Last of the small parts attached. I've gone over the aircraft with pastels on a brush. I'll need to redo the exhaust staining as it's not prominent enough.

Huogqijl.jpg

Haven't decided if I'll add the rockets. I've got a few days to decide.

• Like 4

All finished! I ran out of time on the rockets when I realised I didn't have a green paint to give them a banding.

This is my first attempt at weathering via salt chipping and my first proper attempt with pastels. My pastel work needs practice as the exhaust staining is far too light, but I'm happy with the overall dusting of red and brown pastels to simulate a dusty Vietnamese airfield. It's a big step up from my usual clean aircraft and something I'm going to need to work on and refine.

Thanks to the hosts for organising this build and thanks for the extension. It's been fun! Pictures are in the gallery.

jinYxvKh.jpg

• Like 4