1/48 KugelBlitz conversion ressurected in KUTA X

My entry for this GB, which I may complete on time, is the Tamiya Panzer IV and Schatton Modelbau Kugelblitz conversion as pictured below

tumblr_nj3u2qD6EB1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

Now you may think that it breaks the 25% rule but I beg to differ. The metal hull is too short so all the plastic parts will be transferred to the plastic tub after I've lengthened it. The upper hull needs dismantling, lengthening and the previous effort removing. I would also draw your attention to the lower turret which is rather distressed and needs some TLC.

In fact the only work that will end up on the final build is removing the road-wheels from the sprue. I've no idea what possessed me to do that as they'll be harder to paint like that :banghead:

The late exhausts may or may not make it onto this model. However I have another part built Panzer IV which I've used to trial the hull mods which could use them instead.

After failing to finish two aircraft entries in GBs, running to the wire on a third and already panicking about number 4 I hope to do much better on this attempt.

• Like 4

Thanks for the Thumbs Up Chaps. Construction will commence shortly.

I'm doing a Panzer IV Schmalturm to prove the corrections work ahead of this one. Currently studying Achtung Panzer books, Spielberger (both volumes) and the Panzertracts FlakPanzer volume.

• Like 1

Greetings Fellow Trackheads!

Despite fighting a slow and sick computer I have made styrene progress and am proud to present daguerreotype proof of same.

tumblr_njgv79peMw1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

In this rather shabby image one can observe the stripped metal hull from my earlier dispatch compared to a plastic replacement lengthened by 2mm at the rear end. All part of a cunning plan continued below....

tumblr_njgv79peMw1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

Here we see a before and after comparative view. The other item is to be a Panzer IV Schmalturm proposed by Herren Krupps in November 1944 in an attempt to gain revenue from that nice Mr Hitler and his chums. The overall length is increased by 2mm but the fighting compartment gains rather more and thus improves accuracy (and enables the turret to fit in the correct manner). This requires considerable dexterity and application of miscellaneous articles to ensure the result is square and true as below....

tumblr_njgv79peMw1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

In the general view of the square foot or so of my bench I actually work in we see the KugelBlitz hull separated into two pieces to allow corrections to proceed. Inserts to fill gaps in the mudguards are cemented in place while a guage maintains their spacing and various items keep everything true.

The Schmalturm lower hull is acting as a proof of concept and the works will be applied to the KugelBlitz in the forthcoming days. The front section awaits reattachment to the rear which, once solid, will see the trackguard detail removed to be replaced with Mr Hauler's fine etched brass. The glacis plate will be cut away so it can be modified and thus play it's part in the whole affair.

Once I have progressed sufficiently I shall prepare a further communication for you all. In the meantime Keep your collective chins up and your hearts true.

Toodle Pip!

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 2

I apologise for my tardy progress with this work over the past week but I have had many commitments to honour, I hope that my achievements are of interest though. Without further ado the images

tumblr_njvd06rjLT1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

In this view taken from a jaunty angle amid the debris of my bench one may see the major components. The lower hull is lengthened and now awaits application of miniature fastenings from Messers Tichy Trains and Herr Grandt. I have removed the corpulent rear idler mounts from the hull sides only and will replace with thin plastic card to more accurately represent Herren Krupp's design. The Schatton turret base has been repaired and is now in fine fettle with a fine coat of Mr Halford's orange filler primer awaiting detailing work. The turret itself is continued below.

Next is the corrected upper hull which is 2mm longer overall with the new fighting compartment nearly 3mm longer and with a flat roof. Note that the picture from the Intelligence report below...

tumblr_njve2qnZMn1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Is actually mocked up from this picture...

tumblr_njve2qnZMn1t8blhlo1_400.jpg

It is based on a post war interview and seems to be basically correct if lacking in detail.

The final image for today shows the turret itself

tumblr_njvd06rjLT1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

The area where the casting block was removed in a rather haphazard fashion by your correspondent has had the detail replaced. The turret has been widened by two pieces of 40 thou card sanded to the turret profile with two discs of the same to represent the bearing. A little light sanding will see it a snug fit in it's base. I have some damage to the top part to repair as a result of inadequate storage arrangements for which I am wholly responsible, I beg your indulgence while I labour to correct matters.

In the background to the first image can be seen the parallel schmalturm build which has served admirably as a test for the modifications achieved thus far. I am confident of having rather more progress ion my next dispatch.

'Till then Farewell!

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 4

Are you sure that you haven't mixed up the Kugel turret with Barnes Wallis' rather bouncy bomb thingy! - I do of course jest Mr P!

You have still a good deal of work to do but I look forward to you getting it completed to add to your collection of eclectic builds.

• Like 1