ND520N NOTAR

Hi,

Built this alongside my Mesa Police Profilne MD500E and the same comments apply as this is basically the same kit.

Added pretty much the same parts to this one as the Mesa Police version but not so many aerials on this one. Replaced the kit exhaust as it doesn't look enough like the real thing. The area behind the rotor is a mesh on the real aircraft and is represented in the kit by a solid plastic part with a 'mesh' decal to go over it. This doesn't look right as the mesh on the decal is too thick and printed in black. I tried some etched brass and woven brass mesh and they both looked right until painted when they looked too thick. My next idea was to vacform a clear part which is now fitted to the model. I want to experiment with printing my own decal to go over this but that will have to wait until I get some more decal paper.

This one is more of a tail-sitter than the MD500E despite lots of lead under the cabin floor due to the extra weight of the tail boom. It will quite happily fall back on it's tail given the slightest opportunity!

Enjoyed building both of the MD500s but I'm glad they're done now as they were more difficult than I expected from looking at the parts. Completely clear fuselage pod was a challenge with avoiding sticky fingers and paint runs etc. Seems strange not having a tail rotor on a helicopter but at least it's one less thing to paint!

Comments welcome.

DSCF5315.JPGDSCF5317.JPGDSCF5316.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 6

I painted it with Halfords Rover Brooklands Green as it seemed to be fairly close from looking at photos on the net.

The cabin floor and bulkhead don't fit without a bit of work and if you can reduce the thickness of the floor it will help to get a bit more weight underneath. Also the doors need some work before they'll fit in the closed position so you might want to have them open.

Not a bad kit but it does need a bit of tweaking.

Steve