FAA TBF-1B Avenger Mk.1

redtail

Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post. I am a radio control model builder who is currently building a 1/5th scale, 100+ inch wingspan model of the TBF Avenger that served in the RAF Fleet Air Arm, 711 Naval Air Squadron, 1945. I want to compete with this model in flying scale model airplane contests here in the states as well as in Canada. However, I am in need of some documentation. I currently have a black and white photo and I have a set of 1/48 scale decals showing the paint scheme. It had the following paint scheme: Sides and lower surfaces are White; Upper wings, tailplane, and top of fuse are camouflaged in Extra Dk. Sea Gray/Dark Slate Gray. Leading edges of wing and upper nose are black. It was used for anti-UBoat and Minelaying operations. Does anyone have any other photos, either color or black/white that I may purchase a copy of or other documentation detailing the RAF Avenger that I may pay to make copies of? I need this type of documentation to compete this RAF aircraft. Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice you may provide for me. Chic

If you sent me a PM with your e mail address I`ll post some black and white photos to you, plus a colour photo of an RN Avenger wearing the basic scheme to which white and black was added for your aircraft, this was for the Anti Submarine role.

Could I just say that the Avenger was never an RAF aircraft,....the Fleet Air Arm was part of the Royal Navy during WW2 and still is today,...but only just nowadays! Imagine asking a US Navy aviator how long he had served in the Air Force for,......well it is the same thing over here!

Cheers

Tony

If we are going to get picky, it isn't Naval Air Squadron either, just Squadron. The initials NAS stood for Naval Air Station at this time. 711 Sq was a training unit from August to December 1945: the colour scheme was initially used on HMS Queen as shown above - I can't find confirmation of that at the moment but if it was a different carrier than it will have been a different unit.

Hey guys, thanks and I really appreciate all the technical corrections. Especially the RAF vs. the RN. Had no idea. Please keep this type of information coming. Tony, I am holding my breath awaiting your photos. Smile, well almost. Thanks for the help. Chic

If we are going to get picky, it isn't Naval Air Squadron either, just Squadron. The initials NAS stood for Naval Air Station at this time. 711 Sq was a training unit from August to December 1945: the colour scheme was initially used on HMS Queen as shown above - I can't find confirmation of that at the moment but if it was a different carrier than it will have been a different unit.

Picky,.....No not really! Graham you are right about NAS standing for Naval Air Station,.......but only for Navies such as the US Navy!

In Britain NAS does stand for Naval Air Squadron and an airfield is prefixed with RNAS which stands for Royal Naval Air Station, although to be fully correct they should be referred to by their HMS name! . Sorry Graham but it had to be said my friend!

Back to the Avenger,....I`ve e mailed some photos but if it helps, I also have a photo of one of my 1/48th scale Avenger models, although I have a feeling that it should actually represent a Mk.I with the gun mounted above the nose,oh well ;

AvengerASW-48th3.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Quick edit for a spelling mistake,...although there are probably more!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi Tony and Graham, Re the NAS, RNAS and HMS mentioned above, NAS equals Naval Air Squardron, RNAS equals Royal Naval Air Station and athe same time they would be HMS... as in RNAS Culdrose, HMS Seahawk.

Colin

Tony, Colin. I'm quite happy to be corrected, but in this case Sturtivant in his "Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm" Glossary has NAS as Naval Air Station only, and no RNAS. However, there is an RANAS for the Royal Australian Navy Air Station.

I think there may be differences between current usage and that in WW2, less contaminated by USN practices!

Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post. I am a radio control model builder who is currently building a 1/5th scale, 100+ inch wingspan model of the TBF Avenger that served in the RAF Fleet Air Arm, 711 Naval Air Squadron, 1945. I want to compete with this model in flying scale model airplane contests here in the states as well as in Canada. However, I am in need of some documentation. I currently have a black and white photo and I have a set of 1/48 scale decals showing the paint scheme. It had the following paint scheme: Sides and lower surfaces are White; Upper wings, tailplane, and top of fuse are camouflaged in Extra Dk. Sea Gray/Dark Slate Gray. Leading edges of wing and upper nose are black. It was used for anti-UBoat and Minelaying operations. Does anyone have any other photos, either color or black/white that I may purchase a copy of or other documentation detailing the RAF Avenger that I may pay to make copies of? I need this type of documentation to compete this RAF aircraft. Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice you may provide for me. Chic

I hope that you received the PM that I sent back on the 18th containing photos as requested and that they were of use?

Cheers

Tony

Tony, you are a blessing. The airframe pictured above is the exact model I am building. I am currently working on the retractable landing light and the VASI type of landing approach lights in the port wing leading edge. These are the lights the landing officer on a carrier would see as an Avenger approached the carrier for landing (green, red, amber). These lights are there regardless of carrier operations or not. You can follow my build by going to www.rcuniverse.com Forum: Airplane , Category: RC Warbirds and Warplanes, Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Interesting discussion on the relationship with the Air Arm and the Navy. Chic

• 3 months later...

Quick question on the Avenger topic. Did the FAA ever receive any Avengers with the underbelly pod as per Skyraider and Gannet ? I believe the French, Dutch and Canadians had them but wondered if the Navy did too ??

No,....the RN didn`t use Avengers with AEW radar fairings, the first to have this fitted in RN service was the Skyraider.

Cheers

Tony