Hawker Typhoon 1B - Africa References Needed

Skyhunter66

Well with all the excitement of the Airfix announcement this is timely i guess!

Anyway I am building the old Revell 1:32 Typhoon as an early Africa example circa 1943 but I am struggling to find decent references online - can anybody point me in the right direction? I am wanting to get a sense of how to 'weather' it in that environment. Ideally I want to get some web based references but if not will buy an appropriate book

Any help appreciated...

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

neat link from Jack G.

note the trials were from July 1943 to September 43, and as trails aircraft would be quite cared for, so they would not get to heavily weathered.

as can be seen in this pic from the link Dave posted

P00712.007.jpg

But for weathering, have a look at other reasonably fresh aircraft in the desert.

I suggest a browse through Etienne du Plessis flickr account of WW2 colour pic of RAF/SAAF planes, as there a fair few dest shots in there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/sets/72157605269786717/detail/

HTH

T

Ok many thanks guys this is a good start. Clearly it's the dust I need to think about... And the affects of the sun of course. Mmm.....

HI Chris

as these were test planes, figure on them being looked after.

I'd suggest this as a weathering guide, remember exhaust stains can and are wiped off.

some sun fading of the upper surfaces, note the upper wing roundels compared to the fuselage.

5993516730_a42b3cb06a_o.jpg

HTH

T

great pic Dave.

More weathered than I thought!

Is that the tropical filter just visible on the belly? the little lump just behind the inner gear door.

451_Squadron_El_Daba_Typhoon_Mk_Ib_DN323

I can see one of the new 1/24th Airfix Typhoon's in this scheme giving a few double take looks!

cheers

T

• Like 1

this is great stuff - many thanks! I have had a day off today and done quite a bit using these references and if there is any interest I will do some photo's for critical appraisal!!

My fascination with the African campaign comes I think from my Uncle Tom who was part of General Dempsey's staff during the African campaigns - he rarely talked about it but when he did I was captivated as a youngster.

cheers

chris

• Like 1