WWII RAF Bomber Re-supply Set - 1:72 Airfix

• 6 months later...

I might have to invest in one of these and a Lancaster (maybe a Dambuster) to do something for the RAF.

Does anyone know if they do American bomber resupply gear from WWII or if it is the same ? I have a Memphis Belle B-17 to work on and would love the resupply equipment.

Rick

Would be nice to see a new set of poseable ground crew, drivers and aircrew to go with this set, as its a superb little set and the old soft plastic RAF Personnel figures are somewhat dated and inflexible to utilise with this set.

Am I the only one who wants the ancient trio (Emergency, Refueling, Recovery) to be redone to the high same standard

with all the post war nonsense (Bedford QL Fuel Bowser, Austin K-6 Fire Tender) removed/corrected?

Just wondering... :hmmm:

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 2

Ancient but not unworthy. Apart from the wheels, the K2 Ambulance is arguably tooled to a higher standard than the rather chunky parts on the new QLs. The K6 body is postwar but there are many wartime options for the cab and chassis. Look to old Airfix mags for conversions of BW Models for examples - but quickly, for he's going out of business!

The QL bowser needs larger wheels (from the Matador tractor) and deeper springs to cope: the tank will need the odd dome and/or long oval containers adding. And a steering wheel. For a quicker model just add the tank to the new QL - I'd be inclined to shorten a QLT as there are less uses for this chassis. There's not a lot wrong with the AEC bowser - mods to the top of the cab will give you different variants. Again, the parts are finer than the newer ones.

There's not a lot you can do with the Amazon except a shorter one, or stick the crane on another body. The Bedford is undersized and needs new wheels at the very least - there is detail you can add to the trailer, which does offer a number of possibilities for conversion. MMS do a Commer Q2 tractor to replace the poor Bedford. This would make an excellent first white metal kit, for anyone a little cautious.

MMS have just released a Crossley flatbed, and there are other RAF vehicles in their range. Look to some of those: although white metal they are perfectly acceptable kits if the sides do come a little too thick - rather like the new QLs to be honest! I think you are likely to find more modelling possibilities there than in any imminent new releases from Airfix, however welcome such may be. I think they missed a chance not including a crew bus in the Bomber Support set, but that would perhaps have been gilding the lily.

If you are looking for ideas, try to track down the old Airfix Guide to RAF vehicles, or the PSL book on the subject, or the newer Tankograd book on British Military Vehicles - a lot of them are RAF.

PS It looks as though BW Models is now sold out of his WW2 subjects, so we must wait in hope of a buyer.

Edited by Graham Boak