EDuard Mk.IX some additional notes

NPL

Finally got my first profi pack example. Already had a couple of overtrees.

Amazing kit, spoiled--if you want to build one OOB--by the decals. If Eduard had only asked Cartograph to make them. The yellow ring on the national insignia was out of phocus. Amd the printing quality in general not very high. Thus "Pat" was not really impressing compated to Kagero's version (although I believe that Kagero made a mistake having her ride on a bottle and not on a bomb). I have decals for literarily hundreds of Mk.IXs so it is not that I do not have alternatives. But sad that decal producers do not generally follow the standard set by Airmaster (and before them Stoppel) to print the rings separately.

But it will be an interesting build, and I am curious about the promised E-version: Probably only different from this by introducing other decals as most parts seem already to be here.

Then one really interesting thing not generally noticed: Eduard will have the engine out before the summer.

Let's see whether Eduard will continue with other marks than the Mk.IXc, such as the Mk. XIV and Vb and Vc, something following the standards of this kit, or other producers will take up the challenge.

NP

Cartograf (no "ph" in Italian). Not only that, they should have gotten the proportions of the Type B roundel right. With a high quality decal printer in your employ, there is absolutely no need to print the yellow rings or the red center spots separately. Only a decal printer who doesn't watch what they're doing lets those things get out of register.

Fortunately we have several appropriate Spitfire decals available or on the way, plus a set of accurate size/proportion/colo(u)r roundels...

:)

J

www.fundekals.com

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Hmm... I'm not sure I'd say the kit is spoiled but I see what you mean. I've seen better renditions of artwork and the yellow rings on the fuselage are very slightly out of register (though I would not have thought to check if I had not read the above.) Also, to my eyes the reds seem a little bright (certainly when compared with decals from Airfix, Victory Productions and Xtradecal) and are also noticeably blotchy on the roundel centres. This would probably not be that noticeable on a finished kit, but is not consistent with the otherwise high standard of the rest of the kit.

Like most Spitfire fans I have plenty of alternatives, but I was hoping that I would at least be able to use the main markings. Overall, though, I am still delighted with my purchase. I have no doubt that in time the rulers will have been produced and inaccuracies noted. My main concern was the rivets, but you can hardly see them, which pleases me greatly.

I did not say that the kit is spoiled, only if you build it OOB using the decals included which are not up to the standards of the rest. It is by all Means a superb production (apart from the decals), and I do not understand why Eduard has not produced better decals. It makes me a Little concerned about the upcoming edition, especially the Royal version.

And as to fundecals, yes, I have them, and they are very good, and will look for more. Decals are not really a problem to me. I have been collecting then for at least fifteen years and have just now (sorry to brag about it) decals for 1155 Spitfires (all marks). With retirement approaching, there will hopefully be time to make use of some of them. Now, only a decent Mk.XIV is missing, and then an up-to-date Mk. I, Vb, Vc (and then all the subtypes, PRU-versions apart from the PRU Mk.XIX).

And finally, yes, Cartograf. I know the language so I should have spelled it correctly, but if this is my only sin, I will try to live with it.

NP

I have to agree, the decals are pants. On one of my wing roundels there is a tiny gap between the red and blue so a small portion of white is visible. Otherwise the kit looks very good on first inspection. I am looking forward to building it.

I couldn't wait, so I've made a start on mine. This has led me to notice that although the model is of a late Mk IX only one aerial mast is provided and that has the pully bracket for an external aerial wife. It is no trouble to amend the mast so that it is correct for a later aircraft with an internal aerial (as depicted on the box) but I'm surprised Eduard have not offered a separate part like some other manufacturers.

Got my bare bones white box kit today. Very nice indeed. Lots of "do not use" parts that will come in handy. No instructions in mine either so I need to download them. I'm still not 100% convinced on the need for rivets - even rivets as petite as these - on a 1/48 model. It's going to make doing any kind of kitbashing more of a challenge (I have plans for a PR.XI), but not impossible. Overall a very excellent effort from what I can see thus far. Putting both upper cowlings in the box was a great idea, as was putting the early style carb intake. PA892 had that!

J

Jennings - this is a new mode in Czech Republic. YOU MUST MAKE A RIVETS ! UNDERSTAND ? YOU MUST ! Ok, ok.... you make a.... Mustang. Mustang have smooth surface... With putting rivets.... But - you must make a rivets ! MUST ! FOR ANY PRICE ! First question when is relased another model is on czech kit makers forums - Have you a rivets blueprint ??? No kidding, i thing a rivets on Eduard´s Spit are very decent and model lookin´very good. My first impression is - it is a Tamiya baby Spit... Scale modeling isn´t a touch of reality- it is a touch of impression, you can´t build a downscale plane, you build an mirage... Model kits are generally unreal... You must make a rivets, preshading, airbrushing, pigments, dry brush.. Within this isn´t a model complete. No patine - no complete model. But when i can compare a model with rivets and without rivets, model with FINE rivets won. EDUARD´s rivet´s isn´t a mad riveter work...

Jennings - this is a new mode in Czech Republic. YOU MUST MAKE A RIVETS ! UNDERSTAND ? YOU MUST ! Ok, ok.... you make a.... Mustang. Mustang have smooth surface... With putting rivets.... But - you must make a rivets ! MUST ! FOR ANY PRICE ! First question when is relased another model is on czech kit makers forums - Have you a rivets blueprint ??? No kidding, i thing a rivets on Eduard´s Spit are very decent and model lookin´very good. My first impression is - it is a Tamiya baby Spit... Scale modeling isn´t a touch of reality- it is a touch of impression, you can´t build a downscale plane, you build an mirage... Model kits are generally unreal... You must make a rivets, preshading, airbrushing, pigments, dry brush.. Within this isn´t a model complete. No patine - no complete model. But when i can compare a model with rivets and without rivets, model with FINE rivets won. EDUARD´s rivet´s isn´t a mad riveter work...

:popcorn:

You must make a rivets, preshading, airbrushing, pigments, dry brush.. Within this isn´t a model complete. No patine - no complete model. But when i can compare a model with rivets and without rivets, model with FINE rivets won. EDUARD´s rivet´s isn´t a mad riveter work...

I also don't agree with this idea of slathering everything with tiny holes. it's the only aspect of the Eduard Spitfire (apart from the decals) that I don't like.

We couldn't persuade Eduard about this (not surprising, since how many museum exhibits are exactly as they were in 1945?) but the wings' leading edges, back to, and including, the mainspar line, had all rivets and panel lines filled and smoothed before painting. According to an I.C.I. executive, in late 1944, the same treatment was accorded to the fin and tailplane leading edges, but, so far, I've found no confirmation of that.

There was also an "Aircraft Finisher" trade, whose job was to keep the paint finish neat and smooth; standard practice was to retouch, sand smooth, then wash off with clean water (could explain some of the "glossy" and "post rain shower" photos we've seen.) Included in this cleanliness was the requirement to remove "gunpowder" residue, after firing of guns, so black streaks across the tops of the wings are also unlikely.

All paint went over a grey undercoat, so any unrepaired paint damage is more likely to have grey showing through than silver/aluminium. Also, the vast majority of the Spitfire's panels overlapped, front over back, so there was little chance of black "goo" oozing through panel lines, from underneath; residue caught in gaps around removable panels, though, was always a possibility.

One oddity, which seems to have been unique in the synthetic paint, used after August 1942, is its propensity to fade, usually in areas subject to extreme cold. This has given rise to the faintly ludicrous theory that Supermarine painted their aircraft in varying shades of green and grey, which would have put them on a head-to-head confrontation with the Air Ministry, for disobeying their (very explicit) instructions. Replicating that fading should be a challenge to any modeller.

Edgar

Im´don´t know what in Britain - but - was i say - is riveting a mode trend. Maybe it is a bit unreal - but in Czech all modelers (and very few not) make rivets line on its kits... I see now at photos of new tool Revell Bf 109G-6, This model haven´t a rivets and look it - strange... Big scale fighter without rivets ? I have a theory - old school -and this is Revell kits - i have in my shelf an huge Uhu - and this twin engined beast haven´t riveting ! Or i look at too new tool Lynx helicopter in the same scale - and too - no rivets !!!! When i compared 1/48 Lynx from Airfix (with plastic rivets) and Revell 1/32 (without rivets) smallest kit looks more realistic - real helicopter is a "forest of rivets". And second part is new school - and this is a Tamiya Spitfire and Mustang - fine rivets on every part.... Only who have problem with rivets is trumpeter/hobby boss, but in new P-61 look it good. Oldest kits have on surface work of mad riveter but Widow is nice... And a long long time ago i have 1/72 Su-2 attack plane from ICM with plastic rivets - and too look good. When is kit without rivets i can´t make riveting, but i must say - in biggest scale as 1/72 is surface without rivets empty... I´m sure a new tool quarter scale Gustav from Eduard beat new Revell´s 1/32. But - i bought both :) Revell was probably cheap and this version is very attractive for non German marking.... (Finnish or Swiss air force marking or Czechoslovak post war police force plane...)

Oh yes, on Eduard´s Nine is a little trick - this project was began as 1/32 challanger for Tamiya´s Spit. It is a high probability a downscaled 1/32. With all problems and effect who may a modern big scale kit have...

Edited by AlCZ

is riveting a mode trend. Maybe it is a bit unreal

Yes, and yes. It's a fad, and it's unrealistic on a small scale model. Just like "pre-shading" it's a fad that I hope passes quickly. It's nice to look at museum airplanes and restored warbirds, but there is nothing like seeking out period reference photos if that is what you're trying to re-create.

We couldn't persuade Eduard about this (not surprising, since how many museum exhibits are exactly as they were in 1945?) but the wings' leading edges, back to, and including, the mainspar line, had all rivets and panel lines filled and smoothed before painting.

Edgar

One of the marking options in the kit is an aircraft based in Italy that has been stripped to natural metal. I am aware that spitfires with an "official" scheme were painted with aluminium paint, which means there would be no difficulty maintaining a smoothe forward section to the wing. But what if an aircraft were stripped to bare metal at squadron level? Wouldn't it be a bit of a chore digging out all that putty - the alternative being a bit of a messy finish?