Battle of Britain Flight colour schemes database

czechnavy

Not sure if this is in the correct Era but ......

I am thinking about building some of the 'loft insulating' to represent the aircraft of the Battle of Britain Flight over the years in 1/72nd scale.

Having just started to browse through various photos it is becoming very obvious that a multitude of schemes have been worn over the years - hence an Excel database has just been started to try and organise my thoughts!

Before getting to far into that task - does anyone know if such a database/listing already exists - have done a quick search on here and on Google but with no luck so far.

I'd have thought it'd be fairly straightforward to work out if you searched the history of each individual aircraft rather than the flight as a whole.

Off the top off my head the Lancaster's markings have been (sorry I can remember exact dates) ; -

Thumper (2012-present)

Phantom of the Ruhr (late 2000's)

Mickey the Moocher (mid to late 2000's)

Johnny Walker (mid 90's to early 2000's)

Mike Squared (possibly late 80's to mid 90's)

G for George (Dambusters markings).

Nettleton's 44 Sqn KM-B.

Before that I think she was at Cranfield doing tests and 82 Sqn at Benson.

Hope that helps at least,

Danny

Danny

Thanks for that listing - I had just started on the Spitfires so your list will be a good starting point for the Lanc.

Looks like a couple more Lanc kits will need to be purchased - as if an excuse is really needed!

474 was with 82 for six years,joining in November 1948 when she flew from Benson to Takoradi.

Her first"op" with 82 was on the 22 November 1948 but this was cut short by an electrical problem.

Coded "M" Mike,she flew from Takoradi to Lagos on 25 January 1949,then onto Lungi on the

7 March 1949.

By 22 March 1949 she was back at Takoradi,then on 26 March back to RAF Eastleigh.

On 31 May she transferred to another detachment operating out of Dar-es-Salaam.

Remaining there until 12 July when she returned to RAF Eastleigh but on 23 July she

returned to RAF Benson for a major inspection.

This cycle of ops and movements pretty much continued for the next six years with 82 Squadron.

All of 82's Lancs(including PA474)were delivered in Tiger Force colours and refinished in all

over silver when returning to Benson for a major.

You're about correct with the schemes she's worn with the BBMF,I can fix you up with

"Mickey the Moocher" if you need the decals.

• 5 months later...

When modelling PA474 in BBMF colours don't forget that the rudders are the Lincoln type (available in resin Alley Cat AC72004C). Also the tailwheel is from a Lincoln and has the shimmy damper fitted. The control column is the dual control type. Look at the many photos available for aerials etc. Xtradecal X72098 has "Phantom of the Ruhr" included for PA474.

Also the radiator intakes are the deep "FE" type.

Edited by Tartan11

When modelling PA474 in BBMF colurs don't forget that the rudders are the Lincoln type (available in resin Alley Cat AC72004C). Also the tailwheel is from a Lincoln and has the shimmy damper fitted. The control column is the dual control type. Look at the many photos available for aerials etc. Xtradecal X72098 has "Phantom of the Ruhr" included for PA474.

Tail wheel with an Airbus tyre....