Mildenhall rarities 02/Dec/12

ursa_major

Got a text from a mate mid-morning asking if I fancied a run across to Mildenhall to catch NASA926 arriving. Didn't take much to persuade me as I'd not photographed one before and the light was superb. 1115 departure from Lincoln, jet due in 1345, loads of time to get there. Good job really, as we got stuck behind every single dawdler out for a drive at 50mph max for most of the way there. Regular updates from mates whilst we were en-route informed us that a second rarity, a USN C-40 was due in at 1430. Bonus...

By the time we were heading past the back of Lakenheath, we could hear NASA926 calling up. An inspired shortcut got us under the 29 approach as the KC135 preceding the WB-57 arrived overhead. We got parked, walked the 100 metres down the roadside and pitched up just as the WB-57 appeared over the trees some 30 seconds out from touchdown. I thought my timing with the Vulcan was good, but this redefined 'cutting things a bit fine'...

The C-40 eventually rocked up an hour later than expected, leading 2 more KC-135s in. By that point the light had gone, so the shot below's purely one for record.

mld3.jpg

mld4.jpg

mld5.jpg

G.

That WB-57 is a beauty Graham! First time I've seen N926 since the addition of the dorsal pod. Looks lovely in the Autumnal sunlight and you were certainly cutting it fine!

Regards

Mark