Xtracolour Matt Varnish - XDFF

Tim T

I have always brush painted this on in the past, but was wondering what the best way to thin it for airbrushing was. It is quite thick out of the bottle.

Thanks in advance.

A few drops of water stirred in well works for me. Amount varies though and in dry weather add a bit more.

Edited by Paul J

I have always brush painted this on in the past, but was wondering what the best way to thin it for airbrushing was. It is quite thick out of the bottle.

Xtracolour? Or Xtracrylix? If the latter, then some distilled water and/or Winsor and Newton Flow Improver will work wonders.

Hi

Just to confirm Xtracolor Matt Varnish XDFF is an Enamel product

I only ever airbrush this and mix it 50/50 with Humbrol or Hammerite Enamel Thinners although any oil based paint thinner will do and that includes white spirit, even cellulose thinner will work but might be too hot for the plastic or the seals in your airbrush.

Paul

I use XDFF and usually thin it with Xtracolor thinners (XDTT) at 2:1 XDFF to thinners, varying the amount of thinner also varies the finish more thinners gives a more satin type finish.

Cheers

Dennis

I've thinned with Xtracolor thinners, and white spirit, and both work well. Like Paul, I usually thin about 50/50. Xtracolor matt and satin are the only varnishes I ever use - I've found them superior to anything else.

Ronnie

I agree with Ronnie, they are exceptional, although the Vellejo Satin Varnish is pretty good too.

I had some Dayler Rowney low odour thinners that I use for oil washes. That worked a treat. About a 50/50 mix at 20 psi through my Neo airbrush and I was sorted.

Thanks for all the help.