Jump to content

caterhamnut

Gold Member
  • Content Count

    523
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

caterhamnut last won the day on April 28 2019

caterhamnut had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1,047 Excellent

1 Follower

About caterhamnut

  • Rank
    Obsessed Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    UK

Recent Profile Visitors

1,181 profile views
  1. Just wow. For some reason I’d not found these build pics, despite knowing Chas had built the Rolls.....simple stunning. Two Masters at work....saved for ref! I love the chassis and engine work - the finish and detail is staggering. Going to take some time and go back over this properly when I get a chance!
  2. Beautiful build of a pure classic - I am terrified of such paint finish on such a big car - guess that is why my cars have all been 'F1' or narrow-body so far!!! lol
  3. It may not be visible in the photos, but the back of the printed switches have a square pin, which locate in the dashboard holes - so all about the correct location/spacing etc. The holes on the dash are a lot smaller than the switches or dials - which also have a small locating step on the rear. No such thing as a dumb question!
  4. This car has an FIA roll bar fitted - the kit comes with an old style roll bar you often see on Japanese cars for some reason - and of course the R500's had full cages. I printed this using a slightly different support method for the printed parts - usually you place many small supports, but these can lead to a lot of marks that need to be removed, or worse, 'sagging' of the resin around the parts. So for these thin 'rods' I instead drew a thing 'fin' in the solidworks model - this would provide support all along the length of the bar, and be easy to sand off once printed - it worked well
  5. Dash - although the dash in the kit is the same layout as this model, the Superlight has a carbon dash - the texture on the dash would have to be removed to cover the dash in a carbon decal - but this would be very difficult to do around all the instruments and switches - so of course it requires drawing up and printing.... I covered the dash in the carbon decal, and then set about the switches and dials, which I elected to make all separately. I coloured and cut tiny pieces of foil to represent the lights
  6. Other bits and bobs: Steering wheel has a central pad, unlike the one on the R500's ....and the interior tunnel top requires sculpting. Handbrake has to be added (not in the kit) I had to make some rubber interior mats... Thanks mate
  7. After quite a bit of effort.... ...and figuring out how to support the model... The manifold will attach to the block with bolts, as everything lines up - thanks to the solidworks model! But I have not modeled the chassis or panels, so getting all those hard points to line up is a challenge! It did take a few attempts... Once I selected the parts, I added some
  8. For anyone interested, here is a video of us taking our real car apart (properly apart!!) before a rebuild - this is from about 12 years ago now - but you can see how good the model is in terms of chassis etc etc...
  9. Right - where were we..... It's been a while, but only in terms of an update - work has been progressing, inbetween a few foreign trips...FB has seen some picture dumps, but not here.... So although a lot has been done, there is still tons to do, with almost every aspect of the car having to be either drawn up in CAD and printed, or scratch built. Very easy to under estimate how much work will be involved - and time....jeez! So I had completed the 'core' of the engine - that is, most of the components were assembled OUT of the car. Things like exhausts have to be fixed to the block
  10. Back to the chassis: I fitted the suspension, front and rear. Nothing much to change on the kit at this point - it is pretty spot on - I tweak the wheel track slightly with the hubs at a later point. The layout and geometry is spot on, and you can actually change the 'set-up' and see the changes if you fiddle with the trailing arms and de-dion tube - I need to video it sometime in the future! I also painted and fitted the diff and the fuel tank.... I added some h
  11. Thanks very much S-B. I'm self-teaching Solidworks, having only dabbled through work - and if you look at what I have done so far, it is all 'push/pull' from solids, then extensive use of fillets - so very much at the simple end of the software
  12. Dipstick! Brass and ali tubing for the dipstick tube, and I printed the 'handle' - another tiny part! of course it 'works'.... So that was the main block sorted - the starter motor goes on after the bell housing... You can see I have also started to add some wiring to the block. But the next big bit to model was the air intake manifold. This was going to be a challenge in CAD for me, but managed it - best way to l
  13. Hi Jeroen - nope, just different colours, from the same company. There are different types though - hardness etc, clear, flexi..... Every type is different in terms of curing time and sometimes the way they handle detail - including colours!
×
×
  • Create New...