Panel shut lines on 1:24 car

dr_gn

Hello,

I'm currently building a !:24 Jaguar XJR9LM.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72670

BDqQkZ8w.jpg

Obviously it's predominantly white. I want to highlight the door shut lines and other main panel gaps. What's the best method and colour? I want to avoid the harsh black 'cartoon' look if possible.

Paint was Tamiya TS spray can paint applied through the airbrush. Decals overcoated with Tamiya TS clear for protection. Whatever I use it mustn't 'bleed' into the final clear coat!!

Thanks in advance.

not something I've been brave enough to attempt as yet, but perhaps some thinned tamiya acrylic smoke washed over the lines? start off slow and let the colour build up to thed required darkness. the acrylic is water based so shouldn't affect the clear and easy to wash off if it all goes wrong

Edited by marc

Whatever I use it mustn't 'bleed' into the final clear coat!!

You've got a few options really.

As stated, you could use some very thin acrylic paint as a "Pin Wash" in the colour of your choice, if you want to avoid the harsh Black look.

Or one of the proprietery washes by the many manufacturers (Vallejo, MIG, AK etc), these are generaly Enamel based though (vallejo is water based), so you'll need to be carful if going over the top with a clear coat, but shouldn't affect the clear you already have on there.

Probably the safest option would be one of the various colours of Flory (ex Promodeller) washes. Splash it all over, when dry take off the bits you don't want. These are clay based and will simply wash off if it all goes Pete Tong.

Edited by pte1643

pte1643 Posted Today, 08:31 PM

Probably the safest option would be one of the various colours of Flory (ex Promodeller) washes. Splash it all over, when dry take off the bits you don't want. These are clay based and will simply wash off if it all goes Pete Tong.

I'd second that.

I've used Phil Flory's washes extensively on cars & trucks & they work very well. Good range of colours too.

:cheers:

You would be amazed at how dark colours can look on a white background - colours that you wouldn't think twice about over a camouflage coat. If I were you I'd use a very dark technical pencil. Light strokes from this will be nothing like as dark as washes, and it's much more controllable with zero risk of bleed. If you put too much on, you can simply erase some and it will come out much less stark.

Edited by pigsty

Thanks guys - I like the Tamiya smoke option.

Are the Tamiya TS- sprays enamel, or acrylic though?

I also have some Promodeller dark wash, and some white, so could mix it, and there's nothing to lose by having a go.

The mechanical pencil idea is no good on a high gloss surface unfortunately.

Cheers!

The TS range is an acrylic lacquer, on the instructions, if I remember correctly, it used to state TS-enamel-acrylic as the painting order, so the acrylic X range should be fine over the TS clear coat. recommendations I've seen seem to indicate a 50:50 water to paint ratio and around 3 washes to get the desired shade

The TS range is an acrylic lacquer, on the instructions, if I remember correctly, it used to state TS-enamel-acrylic as the painting order, so the acrylic X range should be fine over the TS clear coat. recommendations I've seen seem to indicate a 50:50 water to paint ratio and around 3 washes to get the desired shade

Thanks, I'll try it on a test piece first and report back.