Bachem Ba 349V "Natter"

Mike

Bachem Ba 349V "Natter"

1:32 Fly Models

boxtop.jpg

Apologies for the sideways positioning of the box pic

The Natter was an experimental rocket propelled point-defence interceptor that was to be fired from a vertical position and climb to meet incoming bomber formations under remote control, which it would attack with its complement of rockets that were installed in the nose of this diminutive aircraft/missile. The pilot and the rocket motors would then return to earth on separate parachutes while the disposable wooden body of the aircraft would fall to its destruction.

That was the plan, anyway. There was only one known manned and powered test flight of this aircraft, which ended with the death of the pilot after a booster refused to detatch. Common sense and the end of the war in Europe probably put paid to any further attempts. A few airframes were captured at the end of WWII, one ending up in Britain, the others in the US and Soviet hands.

The model arrives in a small end-opening box with a painting of a Natter ready for launch on its tower (not included). Inside is a multi-media kit of four mid-grey styrene sprues, three bags containing clear parts, Photo-Etched (PE) parts and a handful of resin parts. Decals are also provided, along with instruction booklet and a small addendum sheet that instructs the modeller on which parts to use for the V or A variants.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

resin.jpg

pe.jpg

clear.jpg

The styrene sprues are of a familiar short run type, looking quite similar in style and texture to Classic Airframes parts, with slightly less polished finish. The moulding is of high standard, with nicely engraved panel lines where appropriate.

There is a fully detailed cockpit included with the kit, built up from styrene, resin and PE parts, which should satisfy most in terms of detail, as this was a very simple aircraft, designed for an inexperienced pilot to fly for only a short period as it neared the bomber stream. Once complete, the fuselage can be closed up around the resin rocket tubes and exhaust tube, both of which are exceptionally nicely moulded. The four RATO pods attach in pairs to the sides of the fuselage, and again have fine resin nozzles with realistic thickness bell-housings.

The wings and tail go together simply from separate halves, and it won't be long before you have the main airframe together. Some PE mounts are folded into position for the RATO packs, and a choice of either a partially glazed canopy or a rather claustrophobia inducing solid canopy fits behind the glass windscreen. A few small parts finish the build, and the kit designers have thoughtfully included a small wood-effect stand on which to display this landing gear free aircraft.

Decals are provided for three airframes, from which you can build one of the following:

• Ba 349 V/M-22, Germany 1945
  • Ba 349 V/M-23, Germany 1945
  • Ba 349 V/M-17, Germany 1944-45

decals.jpg

The first two airframes are mottled grey (RLM 74/76) with a black underside, two red stripes around the fuselage and a red nosecone. The third is all over cream with red RATO pods and nosecone, and a striking black sunray pattern on the wings and upper fuselage, which the modeller will need to mask and spray to portray.

Conclusion

Fly are a new company to me, and having perused this issue I'm rather impressed with the quality from a relatively small manufacturer. The inclusion of resin and photo-etched parts further enhances the appeal, and the fact that this is the only option for this unusual man-guided missile in 1:32 will doubtless seal the deal for many.

I fully intend to build this very soon to sit next to my Me 163 Komet.

Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of logo.jpg

I was really impressed when I bought one of these, just a shame it doesn't come with a launch tower.

C'mon Dave... I'm sure you could scratch build one ;)

C'mon Dave... I'm sure you could scratch build one ;)

Well, yes I probably could and will do when I get round to building the kit. But it would have been nice for one to have been included, although I shouldn't really complain as the price would probably leap if it had.

Well, yes I probably could and will do when I get round to building the kit. But it would have been nice for one to have been included, although I shouldn't really complain as the price would probably leap if it had.

I wonder whether Jiri could be convinced to release one as an option?

Nice review, Mike.

The original Dragon 1/48 kit included a launch tower that was basically a telegraph pole, with a pulley arrangement on top. This could be easier to scratchbuild than the more complicated metal trusswork tower shown on the Fly box art.