Dragon T34/76 1940 1/35th

Guest snipersmudge

Guest snipersmudge

Here is my first entry in the GB dragon's superb T34/76 1940 version. I have some lion roar etch, armorscale metal barrel and resin mantlet and some fruil tracks to chuck at it. Starting soon like this afternoon

DSCF0025.jpg

cheers

Pete

Edited by snipersmudge

Guest snipersmudge

cheers Daz, here is my progress this afternoon. no problems at all. The wheels where mounted in my mini drill and spun against some rough and medium sanding sticks to eliminate the seam lines. I have also started to add the Lion roar etch to the kit. This is the first time I have used this particular brand of etched details and I am very impressed.

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

Cheers Pete

Guest snipersmudge

Today's update, I have been busy with the etch again. The rear intake screen is three parts but is easy to put together. I have also added the Armorscale mantlet and barrel which are superb, the barrel has the rifling on the inside. Other parts also added as well.

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

I will be giving the etched parts a blast of primer then some top colour and then some weathering before closing up the rear area with the grills I still have to fit but that's a job for tomorrow.

cheers

Pete

Edited by snipersmudge

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snipersmudge

very little done since last update due in part to being on a dog course and also sorting out other bits and pieces around the old homestead. However I have managed to get the tracks done, Friulmodel tracks and as usual they are superb. Few more bits to finish off then off to painting we will go

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

Looking good , those tracks friulimodel tracks are awesome, i used some on a CRARRV and they made it loads better.

Edited by ferny

Guest snipersmudge

cheers Ferny glad you like it, another update. All the rear engine grills bar one are now on.The missing one is totally screwed being very fine and my fingers being like sausages I managed to bend it totally out of shape and unusable! never mind it will have to stay off maybe a bit of battle damage? bloody pain in the arris!

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

but at least I am ready (almost) to paint!

Pete

• 1 month later...
Guest snipersmudge

Right back on track with this now after getting a replacement engine grill. Model has had a soapy bath and is now drying before a blast of primer. will take some pics of it in the primer for you soon

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

Well at long last I have managed to get some paint on the model, I started with a coat of vallejo 017 Russian green then went back over the model with a mix of tamiya XF13 J A green and XF 3 flat yellow in progressively lighter coats. The last two passes with the airbrush concentrated the colour in the centre of panels etc. This has helped break up the monotone colour and added some shadows and highlights.

777.jpg

778.jpg

779.jpg

776.jpg

This will all help during the weathering process hopefully!

Pete

Good job so far Mr Sausage Fingers :) I've got a different boxing of this same kit in the stash, and I'd heard good things about it. Was there an issue with the kit tracks, or do you just prefer Fruil?

Guest snipersmudge

cheers chaps! Mike I much prefer the fruil tracks especially for this tank as the wide waffle pattern of the tracks are extremely well done and should look very nice with just a rub with a file stick once painted and weathered.

Guest snipersmudge

More done on this one, picked out the detail parts with vallejo then a good coat of klear ready for the next stage which will be oils to help fade and break up the single colour, oh and some subtle chipping :evil_laugh:

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

cheers guys here is some more for you, yesterday I began adding some micro chipping using vallejo colours and a fine sponge then fading the paint work with oils to break up the single colour and also adding a pin wash to certain areas. It is still drying at the moment but I may go over it in places again as I know that the matt coat will lessen the effects seen now.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

rather pleased with the chipping which is starting to blend nicely with the weathering going on top

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

I have gone over the model again with oils in selected areas and added a dark pin wash. Today the matt varnish has gone on and a mix of mig pigments applied to the lower hull road wheels and selected places on the upper hull. later once dry this will be blended and further pigments added dry.

As you can see the pigment mix is still drying, oh and I used white spirit to mix them up wet.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Guest snipersmudge

here is the result of all those mucky pigments, as you can see the tone and final colour has been altered significantly by the pigments. The chipping has also toned down nicely. The tracks will be added next then the final details such as metallics and the hull mg and headlight lenses. I may add some oil stains also to some of the wheels and the hull what do you think?

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

Pete

Wow! That dusty look is so much better than what I've managed. Much more subtle, much more realistic.

I also like the T34 - especially this version - the big turret and long gun on the 85 just looks wrong to me.

That looks the dogs danglies Pete, a very nice job indeed what was the oils you used & how did you apply em for the effect .

Looking good Pete!

What a good looking Tank the T-34 was!

got to agree Daz more 34's I get the more I like em, better then that Sherman thingy right I'm off before I get :chair: & :hanging:

I also like the T34 - especially this version - the big turret and long gun on the 85 just looks wrong to me.

wots wrong with the 85 :fight:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38704

Andy.

That looks the dogs danglies Pete, a very nice job indeed what was the oils you used & how did you apply em for the effect .

wots wrong with the 85 :fight:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38704

Andy.

The 76 looks sporty and in-proportion to me. The 85 looks like it'd tip over on its nose given half a chance. That said, I wouldn't have liked to find myself on the wrong end of that barrel in a stand-up fight!