WWII Curtis SOC-3 interior Colour?

Gav G

I picked up the 1/72 Hasegawa Curtis SOC-3 Seagull on the cheap and although it was just supposed to be a test bed for spraying, I'd at least like to get the colours close!  I also intend to get another at some point and do a higher quality build using the Starfighter resin interior, and in some ways this is advanced research for that.

Should it be ANA 611 Interior Green:

MK-US12.jpg

Hasegawa's instructions show Mr Color dark green, which I assume is C70 as they don't give the actual colour number that I can see!

C070.jpg

However, I've also found some sources that specify aluminium (surely not?!)

http://pducos61.free.fr/Maquettes/e_usa/usa_seagull.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/dorrsoc.htm

A fairly lurid green:

show_file.php?fid=706591

And various shades of grey from haze grey to something so dark it can't be realistic:

And then, there's this very dark metallic colour.

http://www.histomin.com/Aviation/Classic Aircraft Between the Wars/Curtiss SOC-3 Seagull/gpclassics Curtiss SOC-3.htm

LX0560%20(7229)%20Curtiss%20SOC-3%2001.j

Any help much appreciated!

Edited by Gav G

I'm not an expert but did read up a bit on USN interior colours a while back...

As far as I recall Aluminium (paint) isn't unfeasible for a pre- or early war aircraft and the darker metallic grey might be intended to be this (i.e. Painted rather than natural metal); I think the colour Hasegawa specify represents either Bronze Green 9 or Dull Dark Green. The Interior Green ANA611 I would not expect to see this early in the war and of the various greys, I have no idea...

For pre-war I would go for Aluminium and for early war I'd pick Dull Dark Green or Bronze Green 9 in the reasonably comfortable knowledge of being likely to be correct :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Curtiss SOC's were built in the mid 1930's, the "yellow wing" era.  Interiors would have been aluminum lacquer.  The Naval Aircraft Factory also built some as SON's, and production lagged behind Curtiss so the interior factory finish might be affected, I don't know.  And the aircraft may have been overhauled later so completely that an interior repaint is possible.  But the default interior is probably silver. Interiors are much harder to repaint than exteriors.

• Like 1

J,

I looked through my copy of Naval Fighters 85 on the Seagull, and there is no text on interior colors, just photos of SOC-1/4's. Front cockpits seem to be unpainted metal for the most part, but some have what appear to be painted or anodized heelboards, as they are very much different in tone than the unpainted areas . In some photos the tubular structures and metal stiffeners appear to be  painted a light color, but I hazard to guess what it might be. The aft cockpit appears to be finished the same- some have painted/anodized heelboards and some don't. The gun mount ring and associated tubing and metal structures appear to be either  painted/anodized a light color or unfinished. Hard to describe-You would really have to look at the photos yourself to make your own conclusions. IIRC, Squadron also did an In Action on the Seagull; I think I have it and will look for it to see if it has anything more definite, as well as one of my Elliott books on USN/USMC aircraft colors, although it will most likely not have descriptions of individual aircraft but quotes from the USN/USMC painting/finishing bulletins. Sorry I can't be of more help! Dana Bell or Tailspin Turtle would be a much better information source, I would think.

Mike

• Like 1

"Unpainted" is unlikely.  Metal on USN aircraft was routinely given a coating (enamel or lacquer depending on period) to prevent corrosion.  Sea air can be unforgiving. Remember that some areas of interior may have shown the inside of fabric areas, which gets into a whole other question.

• Like 1

Whoops, I was away from my references when I initially replied.  The interior would depend on the period involved.  SOC-1's and SOC-2's had fabric surfaces in silver enamel, but metal surfaces in gray enamel (around  FS 595a color 16473).  So the interior metal surfaces would be gray.  By the time the SOC-3 was in production, the Navy had discovered the joys of aluminium lacquer, and both exterior and interior finish would be in that 'silver' finish. 

Edited by jimmaas
spelling
  • Like 1

I had a chance to pull my Elliott books on USN/USMC colors, volumes 1-2; not sure which scheme, version, or time period you want to do your SOC, Gav G, but the text below is what I found, paraphrased, that might help you.

Jimmass: my poor old Mk 1a eyeballs have a hard time telling bare metal from aluminum painted or anodized  panels in a period photo; plus, I think some photos are factory documentation pictures and might or might not have been taken before/after required primers/coatings have been applied. (Been burned more than a few times on that score, let me tell you!) Anyway, suffice it to say I'm NO Elliot, Bell, Thomason, or Millman when it comes to U.S. interior/exterior colors, but have come to rely on modelers/enthusiasts like them and yourself for assistance in getting a model finished accurately.

Mike

USN/USMC Aircraft Color Guide, v1, 1911-1939

Page 34: Directive dated 8/15/36 BuAero SR-15b stated that all interior surfaces, unless otherwise directed, were to be finished in an aluminum color.

USN/USMC Aircraft Color Guide, v2, 1940-1949

BuAero SR-15d stated that cockpits of all service types, other than flying boats, were to be finished in dull dark green to match the Army-Navy color standard; other personal spaces were to be finished in semi-gloss pastel green or blue; cargo and all other structural spaces were to be finished  either with tinted zinc chromate primer or similar to other spaces at the discretion of the inspector at the manufacturer's facility. Tinted ZC primer varied from yellow to dark green. (How's that for ambiguity- thanks, BuAero!)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the input.  In the end I came to the conclusion that as the were built between 1934 and 1940, that the cockpit was probably aluminium in fitting with:

On 11/9/2017 at 7:32 PM, 72modeler said:

USN/USMC Aircraft Color Guide, v1, 1911-1939

Page 34: Directive dated 8/15/36 BuAero SR-15b stated that all interior surfaces, unless otherwise directed, were to be finished in an aluminum color.

so I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium:

s-l225.jpg

• Like 1