Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


Gold Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

165 Excellent

About jimmaas

  • Rank
    Established Member
  • Birthday 08/28/1947

Contact Methods

  • AIM
  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Clifton Park New York USA
  • Interests
    Brewster Buffalo WW I, PBYs Martin B-10

Recent Profile Visitors

2,025 profile views
  1. Be careful with that assumption. There are some differences in version among the AMG/Dora Wings P-63's. Some releases are for P-63A's, some for P-63C's, some for P-63 racer conversions (and there's one for a Pinball vriant). I'd decide what you want to model first and then google for reviews of kits for that version.
  2. If you are friends with anyone working in a plant the uses woven ceramic wire see if you can liberate one of the spools that 's almost out of wire. It is truly magical stuff. It snaps from perpendicular pressure but you can hold a yard length out from one end and it might drop a mm. at the other end.
  3. Ah. Okay. Those are the left and right halves of the engine cowling itself, and without them it will be impossible to complete the cowling. And the model. Somehow the image of a Norwegian Blue parrot just went by. Since the cowling was indeed a very weak part of the Airfix kit, I'd search for a Revell cowling to substitute.
  4. Well, Nanki-Poo, I will be honest, it has been a dog's age since I've had an Airfix Buffalo, and I really don't know what parts 23 and 24 are. I tried Scalemates but they don't seem to have an instruction sheet for the Airfix (though they do for the older Revell). If you can scan the sheet and email me at jimmaas@aol.com, I'll be better able to advise. BTW, Seahawk's suggestion id the best idea, but I checked various evilBays and am shocked at the price being asked for old Revell kits.
  5. Be careful with the orientation of the national insignia, The color illustration of F-302 has the red at the bottom of the roundel, but the photo of F-301 show it is upper forward on the fuselage, and upper left on both wing roundels. The earlier aircraft (F-30) has an earlier rendition of the roundel orientation.
  6. Hi Cema_ga - what's the source of that drawing, I'd like a copy! There's another little item. The smaller of the bumps on the top of the wing (one each side) are covers for the wing gun round counter, There is a rectangular window facing the pilot (the counter is white with black numbers, but a simple pierce of black decal should do in 1/48). Go HERE for a photo of the round counter. Sure wish I could post photos directly from my files.
  7. Kari - I do not think that is an 'extra' compass. The compass on the F2A-1 was center top on the main instrument panel. When the Finns installed the Revi gunsight, it went where the compass was, so the compass had to be moved. Therefore the 'doghouse' was scabbed on to the instrument panel fairing on the starboard side. As far as the gray underside, I agree with you but also know there is another school of thought
  8. Huh! Yellow front spinners on a couple.
  9. Google a site named Annals of the Brewster Buffalo - under the RAF section, there is an entry for a downloadable Pilot's Manual. It contains complete illustrations of the forward and sides of the cockpit.
  10. If you left off in 1975, then it is for sure the multi-version original release. That came out in 1974. Both seats, both props, both Navy and export tailcone.
  11. jimmaas

    NEI Martin WH-3's

    From Hans Berfelo in the Netherlands....
  12. It wouldn't be a matter of raiding the cupboard. The 1944 instructions implementing 81/82 encouraged using up supplies of 70/71, even to the point of trading supplies with other plants. So 70 or 71 as a dark color with 82 light green is consistent with contemporary rags. As an aside, somehow that color scheme reminds me of one used on Ju-188's. See what happens why you transfer underutilized 'black men' from KG's to JG's!
  13. jimmaas

    NEI Martin WH-3's

    The Thais had 139WSM (SM for Siam, these were like B-10's but with different cowlings) pre-war, and got several 139WH-3's from the Japanese after the surrender of the NEI. There is evidently a surviving wing, which shows the two shades of green camouflage used by the NEI Army Air Corps, and some of this has worn off showing the original yellow wing color (the 139WH's were delivered with yellow wing/tails surfaces and blue fuselages).
  14. Just to mess things up, the length of the 339B,C,D,E would be more than that of the F2A-2, since they had that pointy tail cone and the -2 didn't. Also bear in mind that the length for the F2A-3 included the spinner, even though in USN service it was normally removed.
  15. I'll be glad to help though due to some issues, it may be a bit sporadic. One item I forgot in the description of the wing gun round counter- it was on all the variants except the F2A-3, which means you have to eliminate the little bumps on that version ( I'll have to check on the 339-23). I guess Brewster finally figured out how to wire counters inside the cockpit. EDIT: the 339-23 (ex Netherlands, used by RAAF and USAAF) did have the small bumps for the round counters. So just grind off for the F2A-3.
  • Create New...