Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 Special Colour Edition ***COMPLETE***

Hi Everyone,

Here are the first new photos of this kit. Unfortunately, they only show the primed components.

IMG_6200_zps27b1f484.jpg

IMG_6201_zpscac4d609.jpg

IMG_6202_zps7ffbcb4c.jpg

I will hopefully have some photos soon as I have finally begun assembly of this build this morning. Stage 1 (building the engine) is mostly complete, so will be able to show that later on.

I have also been working on painting the body components.

Keep watching.

Rick

Is there any particular reason that you prime all the parts on the sprue.?? Doesn't that make you more work later when you remove the painted parts and have to clean up and re-paint the attachment points.?? I find it easier to remove the parts, clean up the marks and then attach them to cocktail sticks, either with a small amount of blu-tac or a conveniently drilled hole somewhere that won't be seen. Just saves a lot of extra work.

Nice start though, looking forward to seeing some pictures of the bodywork when it's in it's colour coats. Have you decided on the paint you will use for the body parts yet Rick.?? Keep the updates coming and remember to post plenty of pictures of your progress :)

• Like 1

Is there any particular reason that you prime all the parts on the sprue.?? Doesn't that make you more work later when you remove the painted parts and have to clean up and re-paint the attachment points.?? I find it easier to remove the parts, clean up the marks and then attach them to cocktail sticks, either with a small amount of blu-tac or a conveniently drilled hole somewhere that won't be seen. Just saves a lot of extra work.

Nice start though, looking forward to seeing some pictures of the bodywork when it's in it's colour coats. Have you decided on the paint you will use for the body parts yet Rick.?? Keep the updates coming and remember to post plenty of pictures of your progress :)

Hi Steve,

Merry Christmas.

I prime them on the sprues because for me at least, it makes life easier to get them all in one go with the primer.

I am going with Tamiya Gloss Black for the majority and Tamiya Red for the red parts of the bodywork which I am brush painting.

So far I have completed stage 1 which is the engine assembly of the bike (am going to post photos in a minute of that).

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is my first construction update for this build.

I have just completed stage 1 which is assembling the engine for the bike. Here are the photos.

Pre-line installation

IMG_6209_zps197fbb9c.jpg

Post line installation

IMG_6210_zpsca132ab5.jpg

More progress to follow as I am currently painting the main frame components for the bike prior to assembling them with the engine.

Rick

Stage 2 is ready for assembly. Just got to cut the tubing to attach to the rear brake pedal.

After that painting of more components to follow including completing the addition of colour to all of the body panels.

Photos tomorrow.

Rick

Well more work has been done this morning.

The fairing lowers have been given their first coat of red on the lower halves as have the swing arm sections.

I will be posting some photos later as the fairings with red on look HOT and once I have done assembly work otherwise the pictures will be pretty boring with a few bits of colour next to a lot of grey components,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Hi Everyone,

Here is today's progress (at least so far).

I have got the frame assembled (just waiting for the glue to dry before installing the engine), the fairing lowers and rear belly pan are fully painted, the swing arm is ready for assembly. I have also painted the front mudguard halves and wing mirrors along with the front and rear wheels.

Here are the photos.

Frame ready for engine installation

Frame_zpse38d096f.jpg

Both Fairing Lowers

BothLowerFairings_zpsf9b38d5a.jpg

Rear Belly Pan & Seat Cowl

RearBellyPanampSeatCowl_zpsb88436e7.jpg

Please Note : As I don't use an airbrush all of these items are being painted by hand using the hairy stick method.

I will post another update over the next couple of days when I have some more progress to show.

Rick

Very quick progress Rick. I think though that a simple single action air brush, or maybe even an aerosol, would give you a much smoother and cleaner finish on the body parts. Not a criticism, just that the old hairy stick doesn't give the best finish especially on gloss finishes..

Hiya Rick

You're doing alright on this one mate, nice looking engine.

Handpainting / Airbrushing matters nothing.

The whole point is to have fun and enjoy what we build. I spent 10 years handpainting my bikes and loved every minute of it :thumbsup:

Keep at it mate

Steve

• Like 1

Hiya Rick

You're doing alright on this one mate, nice looking engine.

Handpainting / Airbrushing matters nothing.

The whole point is to have fun and enjoy what we build. I spent 10 years handpainting my bikes and loved every minute of it :thumbsup:

Keep at it mate

Steve

Very quick progress Rick. I think though that a simple single action air brush, or maybe even an aerosol, would give you a much smoother and cleaner finish on the body parts. Not a criticism, just that the old hairy stick doesn't give the best finish especially on gloss finishes..

Thanks guys,

I am thoroughly ejoying this build. I am neglecting all of my other builds to work on this one. I don't like aerosol can (especially since I had an issue with the paint from one drying wrong on a model a few months back) and have never learnt how to use an airbrush. Some of the most complex models I have ever built have been hand painted as I like the good feeling it gives you to know that something has been done by your hand.

I have now got the engine installed and all of the swing arm components including chain and sprockets are ready to be assembled.

I will be assembling them later on.

Keep checking for updates.

Rick

I have never learnt how to use an airbrush.

It takes a little practice but if you imagine it is just like a brush, an extension of your hand almost, you will soon pick up the technique. It's really not that dissimilar to using a brush, almost like having a brush shaft in your fingers but the paint comes from the tip, not from the bristles :)

• Like 1

Stage 3 is now complete with the chain attached to the swing arm.

I am now working on stage 4 with the chain guard attached to the swing arm,the coil spring attached to the rear damper.

I have applied the first coat of red paint to the seat frame assembly (stage 6) and the tank cowl assembly (stage 8).

I have also given the main fairing its black paint coat.

I will have photos of all of today's work later today.

Rick

Stage 3 is now complete with the chain attached to the swing arm.

I am now working on stage 4 with the chain guard attached to the swing arm,the coil spring attached to the rear damper.

I have applied the first coat of red paint to the seat frame assembly (stage 6) and the tank cowl assembly (stage 8).

I have also given the main fairing its black paint coat.

I will have photos of all of today's work later today.

Rick

Can't wait Rick.....

ATB

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Here is the first update for today, I will be posting another update later.

Here are the photos.

Front Fairing

FrontFairing_zps521520db.jpg

Tank Cowlings

TankCowling2_zps733ee2bc.jpg

Tankcowling1_zps1b962b43.jpg

Painted Body Panels

Paintedbodypanels_zps57b32426.jpg

Stage 2 complete - Engine installed in frame

Stage2complete_zps5a971cfa.jpg

Stage 3 Part 1 - Swing Arm / Chain Assembly

Stage3part1_zpsf16b290c.jpg

Stage 3 Part 2 - Rear Wheel / Tyre assembly

Stage3part2_zps1891def2.jpg

Stage 4 part 1 - Swing Arm with Chain Guard

Stage4part1-Swingarmampchainguard_zpsd5c

Stage 4 Part 2 - Rear Brake Calliper

Stage4part2-rearbrakecalliper_zpsf94148b

Stage 4 Part 3 - Rear Damper Stage 1

Stage4part3-Reardampersection1_zps8fd56c

Stage 4 Rear Damper Complete

Stage4part4-reardampercomplete_zps0c08d6

Thats all of the progress so far. More to follow.

Rick

Hi Rick.

Just caught up with your build.

Looking excelent, so far, you've got a lovely finish there on the paintwork.

How is the kit going together? Have heard good things about tamiya kits, just not got a recent one.

Only have the old zackspeed capri in my stash.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Keep up the good work Rick.

• Like 1

Hi Rick.

Just caught up with your build.

Looking excelent, so far, you've got a lovely finish there on the paintwork.

How is the kit going together? Have heard good things about tamiya kits, just not got a recent one.

Only have the old zackspeed capri in my stash.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Keep up the good work Rick.

Hi Matt,

This kit is a dream to build. I have got the bike mostly assembled now with the swing arm attached to the engine/front frame combination.

I am already on the look out for another Tamiya bike kit to build, I am enjoying it that much. Look out for some more photos in a few minutes.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the next update on this build. I will be doing some more work tomorrow.

Stage 4 - Rear Wheel/Swing Arm Assembly

Stage4complete_zps2f660e89.jpg

Stage 5 part 1 - Swing Arm attached to front frame with shock

Stage5part1_zps7fa635a8.jpg

Stage 5 part 2 - suspension wishbones installed

Stage5part2_zps4c28590c.jpg

Look out for more tomorrow.

Rick

It's coming along very nicely Rick, very nice work. You're right about the Tamiya bike kits, they are a dream to build. Check out their Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX12R, both great kits and look great when finished :)

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much.

You won't believe this but I went to a model shop today and bought a Suzuki Hayabusa kit.

I will not be doing any work on this kit today as I have been out of the house all day.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much.

You won't believe this but I went to a model shop today and bought a Suzuki Hayabusa kit.

I will not be doing any work on this kit today as I have been out of the house all day.

Cheers,

Rick

Snap!

Also bought another Hayabusa today :analintruder:

I started a thread earlier on it, bout time I built a few bikes again...

Steve