Titanium Twins, SR-71B and A-12 Titanium Goose WIP

With the completion of the first part of the project I have moved on to the SR-71B and the A-12 Trainer the Titanium Goose.
I will only do a couple of WIP's for this as it will mainly be focused on the A-12 Goose, the SR-71B will be a lot of repetition of the previous birds already completed.

The Titanium Goose A-12 Trainer 2nd cockpit is quite a bit different to how the SR-71B looks so I needed to scratch build a second canopy.

This is the SR-71B, note profile of the 2nd cockpit, it is much slimmer and blends in with the lines of the airframe. The angle from the rear cockpit is quite shallow.
index.jpg
dsc59585.jpg
This is the A-12 Goose, the angle to the rear of the second canopy is much steeper and the canopy is wider and bulges out the side of the airframe, the front canopy is also a little bit smaller.
untitled.png
I will also be building it with the re fuelling port open, I have another image of the Goose coming up to a tanker and in flight refuelling would have been a major part of learning to fly one of these planes, still the trainer was a brave man. happy.gif
blog-a12-img_2043_edited-1.jpg
After a fair bit of trial and error a found that using a section of the canopy from a YF-12A would work out perfectly, it has the width and it will match up with the smaller pointed front windscreen.
I started by setting the parts in place with a small amount of CA glue, I had to do this a few times to get it where I wanted.
Once I was happy I applied a larger amount of CA and left to set for the night, from there it was a case of sanding to get the basic shape.
102_7763.jpg
Lots of coarse Plasto Filler applied.
102_7768.jpg
First sanding.
102_7770.jpg
After a second coarse coat and sanding I was happy with the shape and applied some liquid filler to fine tune it.
102_7775.jpg
In profile to the SR-71B.
102_7777.jpg
After a few more coats of liquid filler and the associated sanding I could put on a base primer, this help bring out any flaws and gives a good idea of the final outcome.
102_7788.jpg
102_7783.jpg
At this point there is still a vast amount to do but getting the shape right meant I could glue the whole forward resin section together. From here its lots of filler and sanding, I will not bore you with that but jump ahead a bit.
Final coat of liquid filler.
102_7824.jpg
Ready for assembly to fuselage body.
102_7827.jpg
Far from finished but the last of the imperfections will be done after assembly.
102_7828.jpg
102_7830.jpg
Before I could join up the main fuselage I needed to cut and fix in the shortened tail, this was copied from the YF-12 so the profile is different. Not a big problem just some hot water manipulation and the usual glue and filler.
102_7821.jpg
102_7833.jpg
Nose joined to fuselage, this took ages to do as the resin needed to have a bit more manipulation done to it so I could get it as close as possible to the kit fuselage. This took me back a step as I had to get the filler back out again. With that all done it was just a question of cleaning up and filling in the seam and old re fuel port.
102_7853.jpg
102_7856.jpg
102_7851.jpg
This is where I am now, base gloss black coat on, I will add a few coats of future when dry and then move on to the metallic base coat.
102_7869.jpg
102_7870.jpg
Lots of hours so far but I have not lost the plot as yet, good job really as it is likely I will be building another 3 yet. In the planning phase are the YF-12C, SR-71C and the SR-71 Long Tail, I think once they are done that will be all the variants completed. happy.gif

Thanks for sharing the madness.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 2

Hi All, the focus of this week was to get the base Titanium coat on to the Goose and begin the long task of detailing all of the panels. The Goose fought me a little, well quite allot actually as you will see.happy.gif

With the base coat on I could see what the finish was looking like and sort out any of the usual defects.
102_7897.jpg
Up to now I had pretty well nailed it in preparation but those dam air bubbles struck again as you will see in this image. These are the small black dots, they may not look much but they cause no end of issue, resin Gremlins me thinks.happy.gif
102_7894.jpg
Only one thing to do and that is do some minor filling with liquid filler, once the filler is on I gentleman's parts each hole with a pin to try and insure the air is released. If I dont get the air out then as per my earlier experience the bubbles will return again later down the road.
102_7900.jpg
Ahhh, what have I done, only joking. happy.gif
102_7903.jpg
Light coat of thinned black gloss again then the re application of the Tamiya X-32 Titanium base coat, all sorted.
102_7919.jpg
That of course was only the top side, the same problems and processes were applied to the bottom.
102_7922.jpg
Re-sprayed and we are back on track, needless to say these little distractions are not 5 minute fixes.
102_7938.jpg
There were a fair few issues that take time to sort out, nothing nasty just time lost to wet paint and filler. Still all was not lost as while the paint was drying I moved on with various other things. I managed to get the SR-71B Burners done before I switched totally over to metallic.

Burners Feathers tempered the same as before they over sprayed with a matt black filter.
102_7957.jpg
Flame holders.
102_7926.jpg
Ejection seats completed.
102_7934.jpg
Goose Tails and Burners painted, still need to have a filter sprayed over them to blend the panels a little.
102_7975.jpg
102_7978.jpg
With the base coat now sorted I moved on to the addition of all the panelling, this is the top completed without the addition of the forward and Nacelle Dielectric triangles.
102_7963.jpg
Using the remaining panel lines as a guide I set out the masking tape border for the forward chine and triangles. You can count these from the real images of the Goose on display and they fit to each section perfectly, just over 5mm per triangle. It gets harder as you get to the nose. happy.gif
102_7984.jpg
102_7985.jpg
Initial masking tape on, NB I re use the masking tape a few times, its actually better when it has lost some adhesion as this reduces the risk of it leaving any residue on the surface.
102_7986.jpg
First pass with the airbrush.
102_7990.jpg
As you can imagine from here it is repetition until completion.
102_7991.jpg
With that completed I could spray on the Nacelle Dielectric Triangles and mask out the second canopy body and spray this. I have copied as close as possible to the one on display, the silver squares are for the red Navigation lights to be added later.
blog-a12-img_2043_edited-1.jpg
102_8002.jpg
Last thing to do to the top before turning over is apply the blending filter to reduce the difference in the panel shading. Same as before just a much thinned down mix of Tamiya X-32, this is the same as the initial base coat then sealed in a coat of Future.
102_8020.jpg
Well this is as far as I am at the moment and I am happy enough, I think the two will look very good next to each other when completed.
102_8021.jpg

That is it for now.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

• Like 3

Excellent work. Which liquid filler do you use?

Regards The Cat

I use Mr Surfacer 1000 painted on with a brush, i have also used tamiya liquid surface primer, it is all much the same.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Great work again Dan , those resin nose conversions look like a lot of work to get them right .

They are tough, the biggest issue is the air bubbles in the casting, but it is a garage resin kit so you have to expect a bit of a challenge.

Just wish they still made the 1-48 version.

Thanks for looking

Dan

Edited by danimalmagic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, the focus of this week was to get the Goose completed and make some more progress on the SR-71B. Glad to say I had a good week and the Goose is now done, the last report ended with the spraying of the panel variations on the top of the aircraft.

Bottom surface partially completed prior to application of the filter.
102_8044.jpg Bottom surface completed and the filter applied.
102_8053.jpg
102_8054.jpg
Top decals on apart from tail codes.
102_8074.jpg
102_8077.jpg
102_8078.jpg
Assembly of lower fuselage complete.
102_8081.jpg
102_8082.jpg
Titanium Goose Completed.
102_8097.jpg
102_8098.jpg
102_8100.jpg
102_8105.jpg
Titanium Twins.
102_8107.jpg
102_8109.jpg

Very pleased with the Goose, i will finish the SR-71B this week and i will close the wip out with some images of that and all 7 to date.

7 Down 3 left to dohappy.gif

Thanks for looking.

Danny.

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 6

Beautiful work, can't wait to see the group shots

Thanks Oliver, just finishing the SR-71B now, should all be done by Saturday so i will do the final part of the wip and post the completed pair and a few shots of the group as a whole.

Thanks for Looking.

Dan

Well that is another two done, particularly happy with the Goose, not sure if anyone has ever modelled it with the correct second canopy, probably wrong.happy.gif
This week was all about finishing the SR-71B so i will continue where i left off.

The first thing to do was to add the panel variation, same as the SR-71A with a bit more variation on the bottom as you will see.

102_8117.jpg
102_8124.jpg
Filters applied to the top and bottom.
102_8119.jpg
102_8129.jpg
Next up decal application.
102_8134.jpg
102_8135.jpg
Application of weathering.
102_8141.jpg
102_8144.jpg
That just left the assembly and a little bit more weathering where required, job done.
102_8146.jpg
102_8148.jpg
102_8150.jpg
102_8154.jpg
Titanium Twins Completed.(SR-71B Trainer and A-12 Trainer "Titanium Goose")
102_8159.jpg
SR-71A and SR-71B
102_8155.jpg
A flock of blackbirds, I had real trouble here getting them all in the same shot.happy.gif
102_8174.jpg

Well that is it for now on the Blackbird project but it is not over, i will return to this later in the year to build the YF-12C, SR-71C and the SR-71A Long Tail.

All safely tucked away untill customer takes delivery.
102_8176.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Danny

• Like 1