1/32 Tamiya, Master Box and Ultracast Pilots. WIP

(ex)Sgtrafman

Evening all

Over on the aircraft modelling section I've been putting together the rather splendid Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943780-tamiya-132-spitfire-mk-ixc/#entry1364846 my intention has always to create a diorama depicting a fictitious scene at RAF Palestine 1947. The title of my diorama will be 'A hard day in the office' and it will involve 2 pilot figures and a Willys Jeep , the one you see here and the rather beautiful Ultracast 1943-45 RAF pilot figure. S/L Prat is my first ever attempt at creating a person in miniature so please have a look and tell me honestly what you think.
I've really enjoyed the challenge of painting him and I can see myself doing more figures in the future....

Well here he is S/L Prat..
P1000320_zps0ed73c3d.jpg

P1000322_zpsdabdf8d8.jpg

Any comments, criticism, pointers on how to improve will be gratefully received.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Nicely painted figure, should look good with your Spit if the wip is anything to go by

Thanks mate much appreciated. I'm now the proud owner of Mr Softner so hopefully I'll be able to crack on over the coming days.

All the best

Yours aye

Iain

Morning all

Had a little surprise yesterday and this appeared on my doorstep..

P1000325_zps1c2dabae.jpg

Now the reason that it was a surprised is that I was told that it wasn't available when I ordered it. I'm going to create the Johnny Johnson figure and add him to my diorama.

Yours aye

Iain

And here is the main character, he's complete apart from his G-Type mask and bell plug for his comms gear they will go on later.

P1000332_zps44a8ab31.jpg

I've decided not to use the Tamiya figure as he looks anaemic in comparison to the other two figures.

Yours aye

Iain

Evening everyone

Completed a little work today and managed to get the base coats on my pilot figure...

P1000336_zpsee8e460e.jpg

P1000337_zpsaba26747.jpg

P1000338_zps57022a97-1.jpg

There is still alot of work to do in detailing him and making him look more realistic.

Any comments are more than welcome.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

You seem to be mastering this figure painting well :goodjob:

Hey Colin

Cheers mate I really enjoy the challenge that creating a person in miniature involves. I'm looking forward to starting the Ultracast figure later, now he will be a challenge!

Yours aye

Iain

Evening all

Over on the aircraft modelling section I've been putting together the rather splendid Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc. My intention has always to create a diorama depicting a fictitious scene at RAF Palestine 1947. The title of my diorama will be 'A hard day in the office' and it will involve 2 pilot figures and a Willys Jeep , the one you see here and the rather beautiful Ultracast 1943-45 RAF pilot figure. S/L Prat is my first ever attempt at creating a person in miniature so please have a look and tell me honestly what you think.

I've really enjoyed the challenge of painting him and I can see myself doing more figures in the future....

Well here he is S/L Prat..

P1000320_zps0ed73c3d.jpg

P1000322_zpsdabdf8d8.jpg

Any comments, criticism, pointers on how to improve will be gratefully received.

Yours aye

Iain

Pretty good for a first attempt Iain; what paints are you using? As a piece of constructive criticism the eyes are staring a little too much. They are one of the trickiest things to master on figures but they tend to look better if you only show part of the pupil/iris. When you have the full circle they can look a little manic but if you paint them with the top of the disc hidden under the top eyelid they look a lot more realistic. As a top Italian painter once said to me; 'if you want to paint better figures the paint more, more, more!' . So best crack on with the rest of the box :)

If you would like any more advice on figure painting please feel free to PM me, always happy to help a fellow exRAF man!

Thanks for the plug on the figure painting vice :thumbsup:

Pretty good for a first attempt Iain; what paints are you using? As a piece of constructive criticism the eyes are staring a little too much. They are one of the trickiest things to master on figures but they tend to look better if you only show part of the pupil/iris. When you have the full circle they can look a little manic but if you paint them with the top of the disc hidden under the top eyelid they look a lot more realistic. As a top Italian painter once said to me; 'if you want to paint better figures the paint more, more, more!' . So best crack on with the rest of the box :)

If you would like any more advice on figure painting please feel free to PM me, always happy to help a fellow exRAF man!

Thanks for the plug on the figure painting vice :thumbsup:

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

He does look a little startled - a rabbit caught in the headlights springs to mind! I'm just using Tamiya acrylics thinned using Tamiya x-20A thinner.

The figure painting vice is excellent as are all the products from Sphere. I have one of the paint pot holders and I'll soon be getting another one...great stuff.

I'll take you up on the advice for painting figures if that's ok I think its a modelling avenue that I'd like to explore further.

Yours aye

Iain

Iain, if your using Tamiya paints on these you doing damn well, only one thing I can advise, as I'm no expert painter, is get some Vallejo paints as they brush soooooo much better than Tamiya's

You can thin them and blend them so much easier

• Like 1

Iain, if your using Tamiya paints on these you doing damn well, only one thing I can advise, as I'm no expert painter, is get some Vallejo paints as they brush soooooo much better than Tamiya's

You can thin them and blend them so much easier

I agree regarding Vallejo Model paints.

I also use artists oils for flesh tones as you can blend till your hearts content. Smooth, flawless results.

ATB

• 3 months later...