This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mach Turtle

Members
  • Content count

    206
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

240 Excellent

About Mach Turtle

  • Rank
    Established Member

Contact Methods

  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

1,223 profile views
  1. Here's a quick update. I've started to form the four quarters of the envelope: These quarters aren't done. I'm still closing those gaps and getting the curves right. To close the interior parts of the seams (where I can't reach with a clamp), I am using neodymium magnets and large hex nuts, sandwiching the paper between them. It's an effective clamp that can be positioned anywhere. As for the scale, I don't really know. That's a 15 cm ruler there, so the whole thing will be maybe 45 cm tall when finished. Looking at the illustration in the first post of this thread, the balloon appears to be roughly 10 times the height of the guys. So, figure 20 meters or so. That would make this roughly 1/45 scale.
  2. Thanks for all the advice. I've made a little progress: That's the bottom of the balloon and the gallery, where the aviation pioneers stood.
  3. Colin, thanks. What kind of glue is the proper card glue?
  4. On 21 November, 1783, two men flew above the earth, untethered in sustained flight, for the first time. They were Pilâtre de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, aboard a balloon designed and built by the brothers Joseph-Michel Montgolfier and Jacques-Étienne Montgolfier. Here's a contemporary image: I'm going to build a model of that. After checking the Tamiya and Airfix catalogs and coming up short, I cast about for other sources of a kit. And I found one! A company called Fiddler's Green makes lots of interesting card model kits, including one of the Montgolfier balloon. So, I bought the kit (being eight or so A4 PDF pages), printed them on my ordinary inkjet printer, and used contact cement to attach them to manila folder stock: Note the Tricolor flags, which wouldn't have been in use until after the Revolution. Aside from that, the kit looks perfectly suited for my purposes here. Let the cutting begin!
  5. Thanks, guys. I did the wood by painting a base of Tamiya Deck Tan, then streaking burnt umber oil paint on with a very cheap brush (from a kids' watercolor set) trimmed very short. It's worked for me on WWI aircraft before. The dramas weren't particularly bad, just time-consuming. On with the show! I finished the cockpit (except for the shoulder belts and instrument panels, which go in from the top, and got it roughly assembled: It looks like an aeroplane now: There are plenty of gaps to fill and shaping to do: Does anyone know what these are? Are they flaps? Can surfaces act as flaps when they're under the fuselage, not the wing? Are they speed brakes? Thanks for looking in.
  6. I'm back onto this one -- had some business and family dramas there. Some internal detail and woodgrain attempt: The empennage, initially assembled: Thanks for looking.
  7. Okay, off to a careful start here. I've taken everything out and done an initial cleanup. There was very little flash on any of the pieces, and mostly I just wanted to start to think about the assembly process. The main components: The photoetch and white metal pieces: The smaller resin pieces: There are also a vac-formed canopy and landing light lens. Thanks for watching.
  8. Sorry guys, I guess I missed the Camel and it's good to see they're still going. I knew they were started by a Hollywood guy, but I don't really follow popular culture and so wasn't aware that Weta Workshop was another of the founder's companies. Happy to have started a pun thread in any case.
  9. Still, they seem to be slowing down.
  10. Ah. Missed the Camel. It's not under News, as new releases used to be.
  11. Autocorrect, sorry.
  12. Hi. Wingnut Wings hasn't released any new kits in a couple of years, hasn't updated their website in at least as long, and seems to have handed off their distribution to Weta Workshop, whoever they are. Is Wingnut Wings a going concern, or was it its owner's tribute to the hundredth anniversary of the Great War, now concluded?
  13. I thought you were going to build in 1/6 scale! Looks great.
  14. Thanks everyone. I hope my skills are up to the quality of the kit. Yes, I think the DH.88 is one of the best-looking aircraft ever (the Lockheed Constellation is another one). Like a lot of us, I think, I built the 1/72 Airfix kit (the bagged one with about 12 parts total) some time ago, as G-ACSS (the red one, Grosvenor House). While that kit is primitive and my skills at the time weren't much better, I decided I don't need another Grosvenor House and that the Salazar scheme looks the best of all. (Black Magic, by the way, didn't complete the race to Melbourne. Her crew retired in Baghdad due to problems related to bad fuel.) I also have the 1/72 SBS kit on hand, so if I have time, I might do that as the Green One later in this GB. Cheers.
  15. As my entry in this group build, I'm going to take on the DH.88 Comet that raced to Melbourne as G-ACSP ("Black Magic"). I'm going to depict the aircraft after it was later acquired by the Portuguese government, re-registered as CS-AAJ, and renamed "Salazar." I'll be using the Marsh Models/Aerotech kit in 1/32. Here are some pre-start pictures: And the scheme: Let's hope for the best. It's a great-looking kit and I hope my limited skills can do it justice.