Might be interesting............

Hi all,

Going to do something I've not done before and that's start another build before finishing my current one !

Also going to see if my enthusiasm for Metalcoat extends to something bigger than engine bits, I'm going to attempt to finish this with polished steel straight from the tin with a brush.

The paint goes on great but only really effective on small to medium panels, I'll have to do it in squares and blend it. The stuff is dry to the touch in 10 mins, buffable in around 30 mins and fully dry after a couple of hours so will have to be careful or it'll look pants !!

We shall see..............

100_1703.jpg

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

Being a very simple kit the main airframe has gone together quickly and me being impatient i though i'd throw some steel at it before starting the pit and bits.

It should be dry in about an hour and ready for a buff. If it all goes pants at least it makes a good undercoat !!

All completely OOB this time as I'm just playing with the finish.

100_1739.jpg

I'll post pics of it polished a little later.

Si.

Being a very simple kit the main airframe has gone together quickly and me being impatient i though i'd throw some steel at it before starting the pit and bits.

It should be dry in about an hour and ready for a buff. If it all goes pants at least it makes a good undercoat !!

All completely OOB this time as I'm just playing with the finish.

100_1739.jpg

I'll post pics of it polished a little later.

Si.

Can't wait.:)

I've got a 1/72 lightning that will be interested in the outcome.

BB

Hiya BB, I though this might catch your eye !

First bit of buffing, kitchen roll this time! I'll be trying some 1500 and 200 grit paper later, firstly to smooth out some ripply bits, secondly to put a sort of realistic metallic finish on it.

First buff looks reasonable though:-

GM2.jpg

GM3.jpg

Got quite a sweat on buffing it, you can be very aggressive even with one coat, fortunately if your too enthusiastic it will take another coat quite well.

I'll do some more buffing tomorrow and post the results.

Si.

Hiya BB, I though this might catch your eye !

First bit of buffing, kitchen roll this time! I'll be trying some 1500 and 200 grit paper later, firstly to smooth out some ripply bits, secondly to put a sort of realistic metallic finish on it.

First buff looks reasonable though:-

Si.

Reasonable?????????????????

:gobsmacked:

And you let me foil a whole lightning..................I'll get you for this!!! :)

BB

Reasonable?????????????????

:gobsmacked:

And you let me foil a whole lightning..................I'll get you for this!!! :)

BB

LOL !! You'd already started and your efforts paid off!

If you do try this stuff I think applying it would benefit from a similar technique to your foiling, ie plan out the areas for painting in panels and do them seperately. Blend edges with progressive grades of paper.

Thats looking like a nice nmf, what metal coat colour was it that you used?

Its Humbrol's 27003 Steel Metalcoat, I have a bit of a thing for it at the moment!

P.S. Forgot to mension, this stuff goes on well with a brush and is buffable within half an hour. I built the airframe and did the first buffing in well under an hour this evening !

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

Eve all,

I was going to just do this as an excersise with Metalcoat and therefore keep it OOB but the kit pit is a little sparse so I've stuck a few bits of plastic and wire in. Should look OK when painted, not accurate although some bits aren't far off but hey, that's me !!!

A few pics of todays progress:-

PitBits.jpg

Pit1.jpg

Pit2.jpg

The kit has some decal belts which I may use but will probably cobble something together from scrap PE. The IP will just be the supplied decals with a little fettling to give them some depth.

The engines are quite nice OOB but there are quite a few detailed pic's on the web and Tamiya have supplied clear covers for them so I may get tempted to bugger about with a bit of wire and stuff in there too !!

More on its way.............

Si.

Eve all,

Decided to just leave the engines as they come, I'll add a little more weathering later:-

Engines1.jpg

Engines2.jpg

Quite nice for OOB really.

Some pit pics to folloe a little later.

Si.

Great silver work. I remember seeing this plane at the Tamiya contest here in L.A( when it was still around) its a cool looking plane.

Cant go wrong with Tamiya.

Oliver

Ta for that !

This is a nice simple, well made typical Tamiya kit, everything fits nice !

Got the pit and engines fitted this eve, not really much left now, I'll weather the pit and engines tomorrow and start on the undercarriage.

Few pic's:-

Pit3.jpg

Pit4.jpg

Not going to win anything for accuracy but least there is something to see when its in:-

100_1793.jpg

100_1796.jpg

Ploddng on !!

Si.

One thing I found with Metalcote Si,was that it will grab your fingerprints very easily ...I ended up wearing disposable gloves when I did my Spitfire with it ..you can see one just inboard of the first engine on your last photo ...and they are a B***** to get off....

Otherwise it is coming on very nicely ... B)

Regards Trevor ... :D

another good build Si.... I am tempted to do a NMF Thunderchief (the Mig-17 I am going to start will be Humbrol 11 a la Fuji T-1 and then shading panels with mictures of 11/black and 11/white).... will keep an eye on this

Hi Si,

I tried a little test on the lightning last week and it seemed to shine up quite good, just with manual buffing.

So I painted all of it with polished aluminium, left it for 24 hours, and I tried the dremel on it but it didn't have the same effect and just got lots of fluff embedded in it.

A second coat was a disaster so I stripped it, it came off quite easily with just white spirit.

The paint is donkey's years old.

Could that be the problem?

BB

Hi BB,

I've not been able to get a decent buff from the 27002 Ally, I just leave that as it brushes. I don't know yet if these metal paints degrade with age, I suspect they will !!

The 27003 Steel I've used on this kit has worked quite well although I really should have waited to paint it as I would normally as it loves finger prints as Trevor says above...bugger !!

Just waiting for paint to dry and final assembly now. The painting has taken a turn and now seems to be a sort of WIF build. I've no idea what decals to use now as the odd glass of vodka has brought out a tin of red gloss, hummm !

100_1797.jpg

Needs another dash of red but I'm hoping my masking has worked, should look different anyway !

Si.

could add a bit of yellow edgeing and go for a spanish what if, or perhaps mexican,...just thinking out of the box, personally i think some spanish markings would look quite good on it.

for the WHIF GB after the Woirld Cup I considered doing a South African aircraft (the MB326) somehow painted to represent Spain (had envisaged a wing with yellow writing with all the players names form the Spanish squad...... but yeah a yellow and dark blue thin strip to represent spain, and then red/yellow roundals...... sounds very exotic

I do like those suggestions chaps, it will probably just get its common decals and I'll have to try and find something interesting at a later date.

Took the tape off today and appart from a few places that need extra attension its not come out too bad seeing as it was a "I bet this is a good idea" after a few drinks type idea !!

A few pics:-

100_1806.jpg

100_1804.jpg

100_1805.jpg

Any more ideas for decals ect greatefully recieved !

Cheers,Si.

Afternoon all,

Managed to finish all but the decals. Not decided what to get for it yet so it'll probably end up in rfi with just the common decals on !!

A few coats of Klear have sealed the shine although it has calmed it down a bit. At least I can handle it now without littering it with fingerprints !

100_1815.jpg

Si.