Russki gun chopper

Pappy

G'day people,

I decided to start this little fella as I thought it had been waiting patiently in the to do pile for long enough.

As usual, the first tem completed was the cockpit.

ItalRafaleMupdate3010.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3007-1.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3009.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3008.jpg

The kit supplied detail is basic but adequate. The canopy is very very heavily framed and little cas be seen through the tick plastic. My example had flow marks in the clear plastic. I don't think that this is fixable so I will have to live with it. Zvezda supplies two aircrew figures. These came up okay after some paint. I decided to install them to help obscure the lack of cockpit detail.

ItalRafaleMupdate3018-1.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3017.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3023.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3024.jpg

Test fitting the canopy shows that the fit is generally good, however the rear portion is lightly narrower than the fuselage.

ItalRafaleMupdate3020-1.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3019.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3021.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

G'day again,

A little more progress today.

The fuselage halves have been joined and this has been put aside to dry.

The engine sub assemblies were the next assembly to be fitted together, and the fit has been very good so far.

ItalRafaleMupdate3011.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate4010.jpg

The exhaust openings were just gaping holes so I added some mesh to make this area a little more interesting

ItalRafaleMupdate4009.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5012.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate4011.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

That's looking good,great painting of the crew!

Mike

Thanks Mike, it is the only part of the interior detail really visible so I made sure I did a good job.

Another great helo that should be done in bigger scale. You got to love Russian helos...so cool.

Love your cockpit area, very clean work.

Cant wait to see more

Oliver

Ta Oliver, thanks very much. Since the canopy glass is so thick, there was no point going nuts in there. I agree, there should be more 1/48 choppers, I want a 1/48 Puma myself. Airfix has promised us some 1/48 Lynx variants, that will be welcome too!

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I have managed a little more progress.

I have started assembling the weapons. First up is the 30mm gun.

ItalRafaleMupdate3014.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate3015-1.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5008.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5009.jpg

The other weapons included are a pair of B-8V20 unguided rocket pods as well as a pair of 9K114 "Shturm" anti-tank guided missiles in a cluster of 8 missiles per side.

MilMi-28update2016.jpg

The unguided rocket pod tubes are molded as solid, so I had fun drilling out each tube and the end plate to give the impression of depth.

I have also been busy sanding the fuselage seam. the fit has been very good so far.

ItalRafaleMupdate4012.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate4013.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5002.jpg

Sometimes I find it easier to cut off small details moulded along a fuselage centreline and add replacements instead of sanding around/over them.

ItalRafaleMupdate5001.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5003.jpg

MilMi-28update2019.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate4014.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

G'day people,

A little update for today.

The undercarriage has been cleaned up and fitted. I left off the tail wheel as I thought it looked fragile, but the main gear looks sturdy enough. I added some very simple brake line detail with some copper wire and replaced the entry step with fine copper wire too. The loop antenna on the lower and upper fuselage was also replaced with some copper wire bent to shape. The antennas and entry step have been brushed with some Mr Surfacer 1200 in these pics so they look grey.

MilMi-28update2018.jpg

MilMi-28update2022.jpg

Next up was a job I was dreading, blending the rear of the canopy into the fuselage. Test fitting showed there was a pretty decent step.

Prior to starting, I tinted the canopy a dark orange colour. The pics I had seen showed that a heavy smoke tint was used, with a slightly orange hue. It looks overdone at the moment, hopefully it won't look so bright once the canopy has been painted.

ItalRafaleMupdate5004.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5005.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5006.jpg

MilMi-28update2023.jpg

I used a shim of plastic card glued in with some excess proud of the surface and just sanded to profile. A little Tamiya Putty helped to blend things in. It is not the best job but it will be passable.

The tail rotors have been assembled and painted. I replaced the tail rotor shaft with a section of brass rod, as I thought it was a little stronger and a little thinner for a better scale appearance.

ItalRafaleMupdate5010.jpg

ItalRafaleMupdate5011.jpg

MilMi-28update3004.jpg

MilMi-28update3005.jpg

MilMi-28update3005.jpg

Last little bit of improvement at the back end was to open up the grille on the rear of the tail rotor gearbox at the rear of the fin. I cut a piece of fine mesh to shape and glued it in place.

buccupdate2016.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Wow,amazing work going on here,you must have very steady fingers to add such fine detail!

Mike

G'day Mike,

Thanks a lot, it gets easier with practice,

cheers,

Pappy

Looking good; keep it up

Thanks very much,

I really like your work Pappy, so neat and clean. This is looking excellent.

G'day John, coming from an established master like yourself, that is high praise indeed! I really like what you are doing with your Apache by the way, great stuff. I have one of these to do in the stash, so watching and saving your build with interest. I should finish my 1/48 Apache

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...76&hl=Pappy

one day....

G'day people,

Today's progress.

The fuselage and engine assemblies are together, and the engine nacelles have been attached to the fuselage completing the main assembly. The tedious chore of masking has also been completed, so the fuselage is now ready for painting.

buccupdate2015.jpg

buccupdate2014.jpg

The gun, main / tail rotors and ordnance have also been assembled and these will be added once the fuselage painting has been completed. I left the tail rotor stock, but I thought the kit's moulded on main rotor blade dampers looked a little chunky. I cut off the kit items and replaced them with some scratchbuilt items.

Mi-28update015.jpg

Mi-28update016.jpg

After painting, the main rotor assembly now looks like this:

Mi-28update2011.jpg

Mi-28update2010.jpg

The fuselage also had the first colour applied, a home brewed pea green. I don't know what ratios I used, I just kept adding lighter and darker greens with dashes of yellow and brown until I was happy with the shade.

buccupdate3006.jpg

buccupdate3008.jpg

buccupdate3007.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Very nice work, Pappy.

You've made impressive progress and it's good to see it receiving a coat of paint so quickly (or at least that's my impression; sorry if it's actually harder going than I've represented).

Cheers,

Andrew.

G'day John, coming from an established master like yourself, that is high praise indeed! I really like what you are doing with your Apache by the way, great stuff. I have one of these to do in the stash, so watching and saving your build with interest. I should finish my 1/48 Apache

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...76&hl=Pappy

one day....

You really should finish that - you are doing a magnificent job in 1/48 fella.

That rotor hub looks great, having spent the last 2 days on my 1/32 Apache version I appreciate how much of a focal point on a model heli it is and how replacing the clumsy moulded on linkages and connectors makes such a difference - really nice work there.

Looking forward to the next update mate !

J

Very nice work, Pappy.

You've made impressive progress and it's good to see it receiving a coat of paint so quickly (or at least that's my impression; sorry if it's actually harder going than I've represented).

Cheers,

Andrew.

G'day Andrew, this one is really flying together (I kill me :P) The biggest hassle build wise so far has been the poor fit of the rear canopy section. The rest has just been the usual glue/sand process. I am currently spraying the camo, so it will take me a few days between layers to let everything dry.

You really should finish that - you are doing a magnificent job in 1/48 fella.

That rotor hub looks great, having spent the last 2 days on my 1/32 Apache version I appreciate how much of a focal point on a model heli it is and how replacing the clumsy moulded on linkages and connectors makes such a difference - really nice work there.

Looking forward to the next update mate !

J

Thanks John, I intend to finish the Apache soonish. I was on the boil with it and got as far as painting the main and tail rotors. I paused to wait for some info and then lost my momentum. John (Cobra Historian) over on ARC pointed out the data plate decals (I didn't know what they were either!) were incorrect, having the wrong shape and appearance and offered to get me some pics of the data plates. Unfortunately, he didn't come through. These live on top of the rotor blades, and I can't find pics of these anywhere!

Rotor units, like helicopters are very complicated and there are a myriad of linkages and wires. Sometimes I think it is better not to have reference pics!

Camo painting has begun, so it will be a few days as it will be a multicolour jobby

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

G'day again,

Very nearly finished this one. The camo is done, the decals are on and the weapons are attached. Just a little work on the main rotor and she will be finished.

Mi-28update002.jpg

Mi-28update001.jpg

Mi-28update007.jpg

Mi-28update009.jpg

Mi-28update012.jpg

Mi-28update011.jpg

Mi-28update005.jpg

Mi-28update003.jpg

Mi-28update006.jpg

Mi-28update004.jpg

Mi-28update010.jpg

Mi-28update014.jpg