MiG-21

Moofles

:rant: goddamn printscale decals....*grumbles* well the decals died, they just would not settle and even after a fair amount of microsol and set still would not settle, damn things decided to just fall apart, so after removing them, fixing up the areas where they were, i now need to repaint the rough areas, then re-gloss, new decals are on order, so fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

right then, i have spent pretty much every eve this week adding stencil after stencil, the new decals have proved a real treat, i still have half of the aircraft to stencil, then its loadout time, slowly getting there, will post update pictures later on.

Cheers for watching.

Edited by Moofles

Ye Gods...the damn thing is done (stencil wise that is) its rather late, so i shall post pictures tommorow, but for now i shall sit back and bask in my happy glow of content at finally finishing neigh on 200 stencils on a 1/72 aircraft...was an emotional journey....

Well done moofles! I thought I'd die of boredom doing stencils on my 1/72 Harrier, so I can sympathise with you.

Love the camo scheme on the Mig by the way, its really nice. What's your opinion of the kit so far, worth its price and good detail/fit? It looks pretty good in the photo's but It'd be nice to hear your opinion, seeing as you've done the hard work and built it! And judgign from your posts it has been a nit of a battle at times....

Thanks, since i do my models in flying config a pilot was needed, one is supplied with the kit, i just wanted something differnt. The overall fit of the kit is very good, unfortunatly my kit had several main parts missing (entire spine and vertical stab, and airbrakes) the spine and vertical stab fitted is an aftermarket jobby from hannants shown on page one, required a fair amount of filler and sanding to get it to fit, but worth the result, and the airbrakes i simply scratch built. Overall for the price and the quality of the mouldings you cannot really go wrong, great little kit, throw in the stencils and some even better aftermarket decals and you have a winner, my only gripe is the cockpit to my eyes is a little sparse, yes you have a cockpit tub, bang seat and I.P but it all just lacks that crispness, so i went for pavala aftermarket fun (all designed for a differnt kit) some kit bashing and some filler later and it comes out rather well. After all thats said and done i have not worked with the bilek MiG 21 so i cannot really compare this one to it, but i can say overall i would give this kit (built out of box and with all the pieces) a solid 8/10.

Hope this helps.

Right then, here are the pictures, i still have to microsol the decals down some more, also you will notice the lack of a pitot tube and underwing ordinance, these are being painted and fitted now.

Cheers for watching, as usual bear in mind this is brush painted and still a WIP, i have some touch ups to do, and then the matt varnish.

Enjoy.

SAM_0405.jpg

SAM_0403.jpg

SAM_0401.jpg

SAM_0399.jpg

SAM_0398.jpg

SAM_0397.jpg

SAM_0396.jpg

SAM_0395.jpg

SAM_0394.jpg

SAM_0393.jpg

SAM_0392.jpg

SAM_0391.jpg

SAM_0390.jpg

Right then, the beast is done, hope you guys like pictures cos i have a shed load, those that have followed the build will know that i did not have the easiest of builds what with bits missing from my kit, decals misbehaving and what not, overall im happy with the result, could it of gone better..yes, could it of gone worse hell yes, due to the amount of parts that was missing from my kit Hannants sent me a brand new one, so overall i lost nothing and i gained a new kit, i learnt alot from this build (natural metal finish is a pig with a brush, and dont use matt varnish on it). I really enjoyed the group build and i hope that my constant ramblings and rather crap photography has provided some intrest. I have not glued the canopy down as i like to take it off andlook inside at my lil resin pit

Cheers.

SAM_0456.jpg

SAM_0455.jpg

SAM_0454.jpg

SAM_0453.jpg

SAM_0452.jpg

SAM_0449.jpg

SAM_0448.jpg

SAM_0447.jpg

SAM_0446.jpg

SAM_0445.jpg

SAM_0444.jpg

SAM_0443.jpg

SAM_0442.jpg

SAM_0440.jpg

SAM_0439.jpg

SAM_0437.jpg

doesn't that look great in flying pose? Superb job Moofles, it compliments your F-100 brilliantly. I love the little touches like the red star on the pilot's helmet (steady!)

Edited by rowmk9

thankyou, the two are engaged in aerial combat on my shelf, i do a good 99% of all my models in flying poses, i just feel it shows off there lines so much bettter, and the MiG is just so sleek i couldnt reist a flying pose. The red star on the helmut was due to watching top gun at the time of painting the pilot and it just looked to good to miss out. thankyou for the kind comments.

• 1 month later...

Ah thankyou, your kind comments mean alot, cannot say i am too happy with my final results, but i learnt alot about metal finish and other little tricks, also im not too bummed out by the final results as due to the large amounts of parts missing from my kit i got a free one from hannants, so i look at this as a great little learning curve. Cheers for watching.