My latest project takes shape.

Fmk.6john

Evening all,

As is the custom in my world to have several long term projects on the go at once I have started this one, it's a 'panel project' which involves the re-building of a stand alone panel from ones favorite choice of aircraft, the one problem I am faced with when it comes to the Lightning is that the cockpit was made up from a mixture of panels and 'crates' that held the instruments together.

This makes it a little tough but do-able, today I managed to procure the two services panels that sit either side of the main instrument crates, other spares in reserve include the Pilot Attack Sight, Strip ASI, MFD and MRG (the two main big instruments) and a few other ancillaries that will go into the mix.

This is a snapshot of the two panels picked up today and a few other bits from the spares bin.....

dsc00818f.jpg

Panels stripped down ready for refurb, the fuel panel just needs a good scrub up but the standby/services panel might need a re-paint, just got to clean it up first and see whats what....

dsc00819t.jpg

Next job is to make up a shopping list and get to some aeroboots :D:D

Regards,

JB.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Like the words of some song, it's gonna take time and a whole lotta spending money!!!!!, the instruments are getting hard to find but as long as there is an aeroboot of some sort then there is hope!!!.

Regards,

JB.

DaveT,

Yes Naylan was the supplier of all things good today, cost me an arm and a testical though but hey there are worse things to spend your money on!!!!, nice looking project you have got your hands on, Auster I believe???? and will it be at Cockpitfest :D

Regards,

JB.

John,

Only an arm and a gonad ? Never mind, it's a start, and a very nice one.

Yes, Auster it is, XK418 from Lasham (see the Lasham thread on FP)

cheers...

Edited by Dave T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A little update today, got some more bit for the project, namely a standby horizon and a few clips and bits.

Here is the fuel panel all cleaned up and re-fitted with the contents from the stash...

dsc00822i.jpg

Here is the stanby services panel cleaned up and the recently aquired standby horizon fitted along with a better undercarriage lever and trim gauge...

dsc00821hl.jpg

And a quck mock up of the big lumps, nothing like how it will end up but it gives you the idea of what I am aiming for.....

dsc00820gf.jpg

Thats all for now folks!! as always I apeal to the good people of BM if they have any bits lingering in the loft or shed, please let me know ;)

Regards,

JB.

Good luck with the Lightning panel John - I'll be watching this with interest :)

Ah, you succumbed to Naylan's charms then ?

Collected my new toy today as well....

DSC02839.jpg

Dave - is that for restoration to flying status?

And what's FP?

Good luck both...

Iain