Vampire T11 1/48

This is my take on the woefully inaccurate Hobbycraft Vampire T11 which I have had in my stash for at least 15 years. Apart from the totally wrong cockpit area, canopy and lack of wing dihedral (despite packing the underside join) I don't think it has turned out too bad though I still have to add the Rebecca aerials. I think I overworked the fairings at the side of the cockpit which are a bit too chunky; the original kit effort was far too small. Finished in Xtracrylic, Humbrol Super Hobby Silver (which airbrushed quite well after dilution with Artists Acrylic Flow enhancer) and Modeldecal markings. The dayglo is from a Solartrim sheet. The model was used as an excuse to try out the Solartrim before I think about using it on other models. Markings are for the Central Air Traffic Control School.

IMGP3850.jpg

IMGP3852.jpg

IMGP3854.jpg

Peter

Nice job Dambuster

for all it's problems, and i agree it does have a few, it still not a bad little kit, and it does look like a Vampire. I must find some better pictures of mine, but heres a link to one I built a few years ago. (it wasn't quite finished at the time!)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...2/203864418.jpg

I corrected the wing angle by packing it out to the correct angle and then filling it. Nice touch with the solartrim, that looks really smart.

Dave

This is my take on the woefully inaccurate Hobbycraft Vampire T11 which I have had in my stash for at least 15 years. Apart from the totally wrong cockpit area, canopy and lack of wing dihedral (despite packing the underside join) I don't think it has turned out too bad though I still have to add the Rebecca aerials. I think I overworked the fairings at the side of the cockpit which are a bit too chunky; the original kit effort was far too small. Finished in Xtracrylic, Humbrol Super Hobby Silver (which airbrushed quite well after dilution with Artists Acrylic Flow enhancer) and Modeldecal markings. The dayglo is from a Solartrim sheet. The model was used as an excuse to try out the Solartrim before I think about using it on other models. Markings are for the Central Air Traffic Control School.

IMGP3850.jpg

IMGP3852.jpg

IMGP3854.jpg

Peter

Peter,

Despite the problems, and I see what you mean about it looking a little 'flat'.

Still looks nice, well done...

Colin

That looks great,

what is this solartrim stuff?

Julien

Made in England by Solarfilm it is a cut out, peel off and press on self adhesive sheet. Obtained mine from a local model centre - I think it is mainly used for flying models. It is very thin, and sticks well athough it needs care on compound curves. Apparently you can also use it like decals. A roll about the size of 5 A4 shees originally cost £3.50 about 5 years ago.

Peter

Well done on the model dambuster and, interestingly, you've applied the dayglo stripes just like the real thing - they were also applied from self adhesive 'paper' sheets.

You've certainly done about the best it's possible to do with a very flawed kit. :speak_cool:

Looks really nice! The Solarfilm works really well.