Pros and Cons of painting tank tracks before or after

Ekire

Good day all,

I hand paint, i dont have the tools or abilities at this time to airbrush.

I have a Ryefield RM5050 and am closing in on the tank tracks.  Curious as per title of pros/cons of painting before and after assembly - lots of parts to this one.

Thanks everyone.

spacer.png.

It's like any procedure some are going to find one way or the other easier,it's just preference.

Me,I always paint and weather tracks off the tank,I just can't fathom reaching all the tracks and not messing up the roadwheels.I know some spray the tracks on the tank,but thats beyond me too.

I think if you don't  have an AB you would have to paint them off the tank and touch up later,how would you reach the inside parts.

Edited by Tojo72

16 minutes ago, Ekire said:

Good day all,

I hand paint, i dont have the tools or abilities at this time to airbrush.

I have a Ryefield RM5050 and am closing in on the tank tracks.  Curious as per title of pros/cons of painting before and after assembly - lots of parts to this one.

Thanks everyone.

spacer.png.

Personally I paint after assembly. I paint my tracks by brush even though I have 3 airbrushes. Unless you are doing a brand spanking new tank off the line, or a museum display tanks do not have to be clean. So paint tracks as neat as you can, then weather them once mounted on the kit. A little dust, dirt, or mud goes a long way to hiding imperfect tracks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kindly.  FWIW, i did mean assembled as in the lower left photo, not while on tank, but i heed all the advice, cheers!