Irish Air Corps CN-235 colours

-Ian-

Hi

I have a couple of questions about the two tone blue scheme on this aircraft. 

• Images online range from a relatively bright blue for the main colour to more of a blue/grey shade. Is this just the effect of lighting or has there actually been more than one version of the scheme using different shades of blue? The images below are two of the more extreme examples of the variance I'm seeing, the majority of images are neither as grey as the first one or as bright as the second one.
  • Does anyone happen to know the RAL/FS/BS codes for the two colours?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 1

I've seen FS 35177 suggested for the main airframe colour and FS35450 for the cheatline, though numbers beginning with 1 might be more appropriate for the gloss finish.  Xtracolor X603 Flanker Blue Grey and X601 Flanker Medium Blue might work after a fashion.  

• Like 1

Max Decals sheet #7216 (1/72 Irish Air Corps Update 2004) suggests FS 15177 as the main blue colour. No suggestion for the cheat line, ‘though!

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/801-900/Rev833-MaxDecals7216/00.shtm

Otherwise, this thread on the IPMS Ireland site (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ipms_ireland_forum/iac-casa-cn-235-colour-t2244.html#p13583) says: “according to Joe Maxwell's book the colours are as follows: FS 15177 Medium Blue overall, FS 15450 Light Blue Cheatline”.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Blimpyboy said:

Max Decals sheet #7216 (1/72 Irish Air Corps Update 2004) suggests FS 15177 as the main blue colour. No suggestion for the cheat line, ‘though!

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/801-900/Rev833-MaxDecals7216/00.shtm

Otherwise, this thread on the IPMS Ireland site has further details: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ipms_ireland_forum/iac-casa-cn-235-colour-t2244.html#p13583

In retrospect, I think I got my FS numbers from Joe's book, then quoted from memory - never a good idea for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

.... the IPMS Ireland FB page .....

Cheers,

Der

Thank you for that, I'm not that "modern media" savvy and didn't know they have a FB page, only a rather inactive website (which has been a great resource for me nonetheless).  I've sent a request to join.

Hopefully, Answer will produce a CN 235 to go with their new 295

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CH-53D said:

Thank you for that, I'm not that "modern media" savvy and didn't know they have a FB page, only a rather inactive website (which has been a great resource for me nonetheless).  I've sent a request to join.

Hopefully, Answer will produce a CN 235 to go with their new 295

Cheers

Thanks Rory and appreciate the request.
The club is currently in the process of developing an all new website and are also on X (formerly Twitter) @ipmsireland and Instagram "ipms_ireland" if you use either of those channels.

Here's hoping for the new kits!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

..and are also on X (formerly Twitter) @ipmsireland and Instagram "ipms_ireland" ...

I'm aware of the other two platforms, but not conversant in their operation!  Hopefully most information will be on the FB page?  I'll look forward to the new website, too.

In regards FB, Nastyface is not a longstanding family name, it was chosen by my daughter when I asked her some years ago to create an anonymous account for me, to separate my professional life from friends and family life.  She succeeded! At the time, FB messenger was the only way to communicate occasionally in something approaching real-time with my son when he was stationed in Afghanistan, I had no idea then of what FB was otherwise.

Cheers

8 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

then quoted from memory - never a good idea

Ugh, tell me about it.

My brain loves to add its own unique take to my distant memories, too!

🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

This might help - photo by me during 2013 base visit.

Lovely, thank you - this is inspiring me to dig out and finish off my own Irish CN-235 (the Scratchaeronatics kit)!

• Like 2

To confirm I've just checked Joe & Patrick's Book "The Irish Air Corps and Illustrated Guide" and they state the following with regard to the colours:

"The fuselage and wings of the CN 235MP's are finished in an overall medium blue FS15177, with a light blue FS15450 cheatline extending from the nose along the fuselage sides and across the rear ramp door.

A bit of further digging turned up an article by Lt Col Kevin Byrne that appeared in Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 20 Issue 11 January 1999 on his review of the Broplan 1/72 kit.  He states:

"The main colour is actually FS15177 'Marine Blue'

He mixed his own colour which he states provided a pleasing result as follows:

75% Inscribe acrylic Baltic Blue (1725)

25% Anita's all-purpose acrylic Navy Blue (11028)

Finished off with Johnsons Klear for Topcoat.

This reaffirms what has been posted above.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1