Supermarine Spitfire LF.IXc - 602 Sqn RAF in France

Hello everyone!

Here is the second Spitfire kit from the Eduard Dual Combo which I finished yesterday. It is Eduard's Supermarine Spitfire LF.IXc representing MJ586/LO-D, flown by Pierre Clostermann, No. 602 "City of Glasgow"  Sqn., RAF, Longues-sur-Mer airfield, France, July 7, 1944.

0432-19.jpg

I started this at the same time as the other kit, of 601 Sqn, which I have already posted a few weeks ago. It took longer due to the more complex paint scheme. As with the other one, I made a rear bulkhead with seat to put in the empty cockpit and scratchbuilt a rear-view mirror above the windscreen (sprue from etched parts with Kristal Klear) and the underwing probe (from stretched sprue).

0432-02.jpg

0432-03.jpg

0432-05.jpg

0432-06.jpg

The kit was fully painted (freehand), weathered and varnished with brush. Apart from a couple of minor quibbles I have with the weathering, I am also very pleased with how this one came out. The D-day markings really make it eye-catching. Most of the paints for the main scheme were Vallejo except for the dark green which was PollyScale. Vallejo's Sky Type S is a bit too dark and dull and maybe I should have used Tamiya's paint instead which would have come closer to Eduard's code letters (which I feel are a bit off in tone too).

0432-10.jpg

0432-12.jpg

0432-13.jpg

0432-17.jpg

0432-18.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
Miguel

• Like 16

• Mig88 changed the title to Supermarine Spitfire LF.IXc - 602 Sqn RAF in France
On 20/03/2024 at 02:17, Luke1199 said:

Great build, Miguel- it's a stunner!

On 20/03/2024 at 02:33, Scooby said:

Nice work! My dad served in 602, they still had one Spit that a BoB pilot kept flying, pretty sure it was the CO.

Thank you very much

Miguel

• Like 1