What is The Rat doing these days?

The Rat

A number of whiffs on the go, some will be subjected to my new toy, $212.42 Cdn, after tax: 

53560652135_f713959026_c.jpg

With some external changes, this will become a Cutlass that ain't gutless, re-engined with RR Avons. Intakes have been cut back to enlarge them for the increased suckage, exhaust enlarged for the increased blowage.

53473339490_4118e7e866_c.jpg

53473355135_4202736a29_c.jpg

53491374013_1133128f3f_c.jpg

53562485356_bf40a9809c_c.jpg

Fuerza Aérea de Chile, with desert camouflage for operations over the Atacama:

53515818603_f6b6a0d417_c.jpg

53552515143_4e1e6e83bc_c.jpg

The ancient Frog/Novo Supermarine Attacker, planning on finishing it as a Royal Canadian Navy example. Panel lines rescribed, perhaps a bit too deep, but I'm new to this part of the process. In what can only be described as a shock to the system of every modeler in the world, Novo managed to slam out a rather clear canopy on this one, so the interior needed to be less spartan than the original 'bust on a board'. Instrument panel was procured from an old drop tank, the 'go to' part of many a modeler scratching things. What would we do without them?😁 Pilot doesn't look too good in the photo, but since the canopy is attached with PVA glue I'll pry it off and give him some cosmetic surgery before closing him in again. 

53543698662_d08399f9df_c.jpg

53544568366_5bf62bf3cc_c.jpg

53544753033_da0be0b29e_c.jpg

53545005075_e5834a7f48_c.jpg

This one is taking a lot of time, and putty. The Revell Douglas Skyrocket, modified as an 'in service' aircraft. Hypothetical switcheroo of the engine positions, main one is now a jet, small jet replaced with a rocket for extra boost. Side intakes from, you guessed it; old drop tanks! Tail assembly will be moved forward a bit to allow for the wider back end required for the jet.

53219482072_2571a6c068_c.jpg

Finally, I actually did a 'real world' model, unusual for me. The first time I've tried a short-run kit, wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. Decals were absolute crap, if you find one of these kits be prepared to lay on a few coats of Microscale Liquid Decal Film to prevent them shattering. I used regular varnish from a rattle can, didn't prevent it. Next I tried a brushed Tamiya varnish, still no joy. The final attempt to secure them with the MLDF did the job, but too late to salvage the ones applied first. The kit itself isn't too bad, don't pass it up if you see a good price on one. 

53547369947_cfdc97abf8_c.jpg20240223_215712 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, flyboy2610 said:

May I be so bold as to inquire what the plane in your last pic is?

Oops, yes, should have mentioned that. The Vought F6U Pirate, a terrible aircraft that made only one significant contribution to aeronautics: the Westinghouse engine was so weak (because it was Westinghouse, they excelled at anemic engines) that Vought engineers had to invent something to give it more oomph - the afterburner! Having thus secured its place in aviation history, it went on to a career that studiously avoided any US Navy operational squadrons, instead being used to test crash barriers, and as instructional airframes. One can only surmise that the main instruction would be "Don't build aircraft like this!" Wikipedia article

• Like 5

9 hours ago, The Rat said:

Intakes have been cut back to enlarge them for the increased suckage, exhaust enlarged for the increased blowage.

G'day Dave, not being an aircraft modeler (well, not often) I'm not always conversant with correct aviation terminology. Suckage and blowage - I'll have to remember these.

9 hours ago, The Rat said:

Instrument panel was procured from an old drop tank, the 'go to' part of many a modeler scratching things. What would we do without them?😁

I like to build whiffs too, and actual conversions with a lot of scratch building but being a ship modeler I don't have a ready supply of drop tanks. Oh well, I manage. But I can see their usefulness in your field of modeling. I must admit I was wondering how you'd make an instrument panel from a drop tank but I think your solution was very clever. 👍

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day Dave, not being an aircraft modeler (well, not often) I'm not always conversant with correct aviation terminology. Suckage and blowage - I'll have to remember these.

I like to build whiffs too, and actual conversions with a lot of scratch building but being a ship modeler I don't have a ready supply of drop tanks. Oh well, I manage. But I can see their usefulness in your field of modeling. I must admit I was wondering how you'd make an instrument panel from a drop tank but I think your solution was very clever. 👍

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks! Whiffers save almost anything, we never know when it will come in handy. I have enough decals to open a chain of 'Decals 'R' Us' stores. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Rat said:

Whiffers save almost anything, we never know when it will come in handy.

Too true. Most of the Airfix ship kits have hexagonal or trapezoidal sprue, not round. No good for stretching into rod but I keep them anyway and use them for hull reinforcement and deck supports. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Nice selection of projects there, Dave! Being more of a fan of planes with fans (!) I particularly like the Spit with the Atacama Desert camouflage - very nicely done!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sturdy envelope arrived yesterday from CanMilAir Decals, the markings for a Royal Canadian Navy Sea Fury, so the Attacker will soon be back on the bench. 

• Like 1